Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Starter/Electrical Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Starter/Electrical Issue?

Last night the wife's 2002 Camaro wouldn't start. If you turned the key, it just gaves the rapid clicks of the solenoid and the interior lights dim significantly. Once you let the key go back to the run position, the gauges went through a "reset" and the security light (along with the rest) lights up. Thought battery may be a little low or something (it's about a year old), so I left it to charge overnight.

Tried it this morning and it started up once normally, shut it off and tried it again and it started doing the same thing described above. The battery is fine. The started is about 6 months old. I'm leaning towards a dead short to the casing in either the starter winding or the solenoid, which means a new starter, but I wanted to see if anybody else had experienced this before and what you guys thought. Thanks!

Paul
Old 08-30-2012, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

Might be an alternator issue or you could have a bad cell in the battery. I would take both out dnd have autozone test them for free, and if nothing eliminate some things.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Banned

my car was doing the same thing and then it completely went out on me while i was driving down the road had to pull into the goodyear so i wouldnt hold traffic up. they told me that it was my alternator and i replaced that and the battery since it was dead as well. so i drove it today and its still doing the same thing. just fyi for the original post this will most likely happen to you and im currently in the process of getting it fixed so ima let you know what the problem is once i fix my car.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Banned

ok so i figured out the problem the sensor wire that goes behind your alternator is extremly flisby so be very careful when you replace your alternator. also go ahead and plane on charging your battery if i was you id take the battery out put it on a charger and then from the top take the belt off, then on the driver side with a 13mm wrench take the bolt out thats right below your headers or exuhalst manifold what ever you have. then from under neath get one 15mm socket take off the two bolts then get a 15mm deep wall socket and take off the bolt that bolts up your alternator braket to the block. after those are off then take the braket down carefully then hold your alternator while un bolting the 13mm ground wire that is left.

Quick Reply: Bad Starter/Electrical Issue?