Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I suck my pan dry? High volume pump...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did I suck my pan dry? High volume pump...

Just build a 408 iron block. It's in an offroad race car. Have an SLP high volume with the high pressure spring in it. Running an FBody pan with a trap door baffle.

During practice I was doing some pretty long duration high RPM runs, over 4500 for a while, and happen to catch my low oil pressure idiot light come on.

I do run a 2 qt accumulator and it's set to dump at 35 psi when my warning light comes on.

I couldn't exactly take my eyes off driving to observe the pressure levels as I was single tracking in the trees but I did notice the light on which means less than 35psi at some point during an extended high RPM run.

I shut it down as quick as I could get it slow enough to cut it.

Fired right back up with good pressure throughout the rpm ranges but I never did hit it quite as hard because running the pan dry was in the back of my mind.

Crank end play is around .005 still.

Cut the filter open (no not with a saw) and didn't really observe anything too awfully concerning. Nothing that I could visually see. The magnet picked up maybe 2 or 3 minute little slivers but no bearing flakes. Like so small they were halfway stuck in through the filter.

This was the first practice on the engine and the only other run time were engine and chassis dyno pulls.

I have been running Melling high volume pumps in the past and never noticed and issue. I know the SLP is supposed to be ported more? Ported too much for my F Body pan application?
Old 08-30-2012, 03:06 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typically we don't like to run the high volume pumps with stock pans, but I would think that the SLP Pump would be great for your application. Hopefully this doesn't offend, but have you verified that this isnt another issue, like wiring?
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 08-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jake@Texas-Speed
Typically we don't like to run the high volume pumps with stock pans, but I would think that the SLP Pump would be great for your application. Hopefully this doesn't offend, but have you verified that this isnt another issue, like wiring?
Wiring is good. Sensors are good. Right on the money with a mechanical running and pre-oil. I pop the accumulator before I start it.

I raced it this weekend as well but mindfully kept it out of high revs. The course didn't call for winding it out anyway.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Probably should have put this in the appropriate section, huh?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

I had this exact same issue today. SLP pump, red spring. LQ4 6.0 Iron block with fbody pan and baffle in it. Using factory electrical gauge and sender.

Car runs 60-70# cold and 40-50 hot oil pressure.

I made a long pull up the street and oil pressure dropped to 0 in 3rd. Cut it off and coasted back to the shop. Fired it up and idle pressure was perfect.

I do know my battery was a little low. Putting a mechanical gauge on it and gonna cut the filter.

Did you make any progress on your problem?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PACKETFOCUS
Did you make any progress on your problem?
I guess you could call it progress... Took out the SLP and put in a Melling standard volume. Not worth finding out again if the SLP was pushing too much for my pan.

That was the first time I've run the SLP. First time that's ever happened. Have made the exact same run and more with the standard volume and it hasn't happened again.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Launching!

I had an SLP do this to me a couple years back, was told the extra volume can churn the oil, you guys are lucky, was not paying attention and lost the engine.

Quick Reply: Did I suck my pan dry? High volume pump...