Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster vs Stock on Z28

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster vs Stock on Z28

Hey a guy stopped me while I was at outback when he saw my car and was asking a few questions about exhaust. HE asked if there was much more flow from stock to a flowmaster crossflow for his 02 Z28. I told him it would be louder but I wasnt sure about the flow part. I have a MAC on my car now looking to change to something better this coming winter. So if anyone could answer that for me it would be greatly appreciated.

He said he absolutely loves flowmaster sound lol
Old 08-31-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

it DOES flow better but as everyoner likes top ointout, theres better flowing options. imo, theyre louder and dont necessarily sound any better tho
Old 08-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a flowmaster catback on my 1998 ws6, sounds great and the car makes 415 rwhp. When it was on the dyno the guys tried to convince me to get a magna-flow and said they can prove the flowmaster is restrictive but the car gained only 2hp when they disconnected the muffler. Not worth switching to me and I don't know why they get bashed and I get compliments on the sound all the time. So in my opinion it's good but get what ever you like. I have a slp lm1 on my SS and I like that as well but it also has stock manifold sand cats.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply's
Old 09-02-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it probably doesnt matter on a stock or bolt on cars...but again if you dont have a flowmaster already why not go with some thing more popular on our cars? worth the piece of mind imo.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

http://m.modmotortech.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=33
Old 09-02-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 80-series crossflow (single inlet, dual outlets) mufflers are the ones that are very restrictive and cost hp

If you want the Flowmaster sound with just as much, if not more hp gain as other cat-backs, search for the single in/out systems with either the 30- or 40-series muffler. They're no longer made but a handful of vendors still have the systems in their inventory. Contact Flowmaster directly and they can search for you or they'll piece together the system for you for a small fee. They found mine at a shop in CA - no dyno numbers but my butt dyno noticed an increase in power over my previous Borla system with no plates and a much cleaner, throatier tone
Old 09-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

thanks I am going to start looking more into another I really want to replace my mac muffler n tips. I am set on using my stock tips just got to figure out the muffler. I have been reading alot and see alot of mixed stuff on the hooker and when i look at the magnaflow it is just to quiet. Does anyone have any info on the dynomax muffler or the pypes stuff. keep in mind im only looking for the muffler not the whole system. thanks
Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by VinR1
The 80-series crossflow (single inlet, dual outlets) mufflers are the ones that are very restrictive and cost hp

If you want the Flowmaster sound with just as much, if not more hp gain as other cat-backs, search for the single in/out systems with either the 30- or 40-series muffler. They're no longer made but a handful of vendors still have the systems in their inventory. Contact Flowmaster directly and they can search for you or they'll piece together the system for you for a small fee. They found mine at a shop in CA - no dyno numbers but my butt dyno noticed an increase in power over my previous Borla system with no plates and a much cleaner, throatier tone
The 40 can be found anywhere, I would go with a Borla XR1 or XS Pro, No way a 40 out flows a Borla.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster vs Stock on Z28