Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally decided to buy LT`s...install advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally decided to buy LT`s...install advice?

Well, im in the mood to buy LT`s for my WS6. Ive decided to buy the BBK LT`s and ORY that comes with them, but ive been reading on other forums and im getting mixed reactions about how easy it might be to install LT`s. Im hearing thats its pretty easy and im also hearing that i have to take out my alternator, steering pump and started...just to get the long tubes in! So, can anyone set the record straight? Im actually putting in LT`s since my cats decided to start breaking up inside and the rattling noise is just ridiculous to deal with lol I plan on doing this by myself and im a little more then "some what" mechanically inclined, although i jsut want to make sure i do this right since this is my car is my DD as well.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Everyone I've heard on here that installs the bbk lt's says they slide in with ease without removing anything.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove your alternator and steering pump? Never heard that one before. You might have to take off your steering knuckle, no big deal, just a couple bolts. Other than that, soaking the bolts with some type of penetrating oil will help immensely when you are taking them off the next day.

One big tip that screwed me, my header bolts ended up needing washers. Basically, when I was put in my new headers and was putting in my header bolts they were too long and I didn't know it. They would bottom out and leave a tiny gap in between the header and heads. I didn't know they were to long at the time and just thought the bolts were binding up in the heads or something. Well, I kept tightening the bolts hoping to close that tiny gap and snapped a bolt head off! It wasn't until my brother came over that he suggested, "hey, maybe the bolts are too long and bottoming out?" Pulled one out and sure enough the tip of the bolt was chewed up. Went to the hardware store, got some washers and the gap was pinched shut.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Easy Job and nothing you have to remove like you have been told.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

The BBKs are what I have on my T/A. They were easy as cake to install, the writeups made it sound a lot harder than it really is. No need to remove anything. The only problem that I ran into was that the Y is the same size as the catback, but a 3" band clamp will solve that problem for you.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Hey thanks for the info guys! Is there a way to find a 3" band clamp? Maybe an exhaust shop or a performance shop?
Old 09-01-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get the car up as high as you can....makes things much easier.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Yea i read about getting it as high as possible. Which wont be a problem i dont think. I plan on doing this at my parents house where ill have plenty of tools and knowledge from my dad to get this done right. But going back to the whole taking the alternator and steering pump and all off to do this, iirc, i think i read that on another Camaro forum or something. That and other things just literally made my jaw drop to read about the horror stories and the ridiculous things people had to do to in order to install headers on a F-Body.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Do motor mounts. They're cake once the exhaust is outta the way. And I have bbks and needed a 3in id/od adapter for my exhaust to fit then just clamped it down with a band clamp. Just take your time and don't use the gaskets thr come with it, they suck.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Long tube header design has been perfected for our cars for some time. They are all relatively easy to install once you get the stock 10-15 year exhaust off the car. Those horror stories the other forums are talking about are not inaccurate. In 1999 and 2000 every header company had a different design and each one had its own issues with the install. Some early LS1 gurus probably moved on to different cars and do not know how well headers are built these days. They just remember the nightmares from their early installs. The BBK headers you chose IMO are the best of all worlds. They are a well built 1 3/4 and then step down to a 2.5 inch y pipe. So you may be leaving a few ponies on the table but they more than make up for it with increased clearance and a leak free connection with a well designed Y merge that will help the exhaust sound like it should as opposed to a raspy pickup truck older y pipes are known for.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by StealthWeaponLS1
Hey thanks for the info guys! Is there a way to find a 3" band clamp? Maybe an exhaust shop or a performance shop?
An exhaust shop or good performance shop would have them. I got mine from a local parts store for semis, since it had to be ordered otherwise.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Well since the y-pipe for the BBK LT`s is 2.5" and my SLP catback is a 3" pipe (Im guessing of course here), then i would have to get an pipe adapter right?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can have 1 made up or buy 1 from some like flow master.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

anti seize the bolts for the headers incase you ever have to remove them.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Default BBK Long Tube Instal

I just installed my BBK long tubes over the weekend. They went in very easy. The part that took the longest was getting the old exhaust parts off and installing the polly motor mounts. I am running catless and no mufflers. Sounds good except for the raspyness. Sending out for a mail order tune by Frost also. Going to install high flow cats or magnaflow catback. Not sure on which way to go on that yet. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Finally decided to buy LT`s...install advice?