Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV question w/LQ4 valve cover and LS6 intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Question PCV question w/LQ4 valve cover and LS6 intake manifold

did a few google searches but did not find my answer and hopefully i can get it in this post :-)

I’m planning on buttoning up my LQ4 build tomorrow and was curious on how to route the PCV system back up again as im somewhat confused how to do so since im using the LQ4 valve covers and the LS6 intake manifold. The LQ4 valve covers, from my understanding has the pcv on the drivers side while the passenger side only has 1 vent tube. The LS1 motor that spun a rod bearing is the 98 style pcv setup. I was thinking about having the pcv where it is now that’s on the driver side and the other end “T” into the large/brake booster hose behind the intake manifold and the other end go to a catch can and the other end of the catch can into a port on the throttlebody. For the passenger side vac tube have that go into the vac port on the front-side of the intake manifold. Does it make sense at all?

also im not planning on doing the LS6 pcv valley fwiw. thanks for your help
Old 09-10-2012, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

yesterday my buddy helped me install the LQ4 motor into my firebird and i wasnt certain how to set the pcv system and he suggested since im using the LQ4 valve cover to put the pcv on the driver side and leave it vented to the air while plugging the single passenger side valve cover, and the 2 vac ports on the tb.

today when i was checking the motor while it was idling i pulled the engine dipstick and noticed it was spitting oil up the tube. im not new to cars but that's not correct which leads me to believe the pcv setup my buddy suggested isnt right.

i looked around and tell me if this is correct setup: the pcv on the driver side and a hose connected from the hole to a catch can and the other end of the catch can to one of the 2 vac ports on the tb. the passenger side valve cover vac port gets a hose that goes to the 2nd hole off the tb. is this correct????
Old 09-10-2012, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Why not just reuse the ls1 pcv system you had and reconnect everything as it was since the ls1/ls6 intakes hook up the same? I had 0 issues reusing the ls1 pcv system on my lq4 while using the ls6 intake.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

the piece that goes into the driver side from the ls1 pcv system is a 98 which i think was different(perimeter bolts) from the rest of the other years after it(center bolts). the 98s driver side has a plastic cover with a smaller nipple but the hole the plastic piece goes into is the same size as the passenger side that the oil cap screws onto. thats why it wont work with the LQ4. stupid 98 bitch years lol

98 style

lq4 style

Quick Reply: PCV question w/LQ4 valve cover and LS6 intake manifold