Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drilling the throttlebody? (?) car not running well

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 07:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drilling the throttlebody? (?) car not running well

my car has idling issues! this has been going on for awhile, even before the cam install, (just different)

#1-before the cam:
..after installing a 100/90 mm throttle body the car would idle high and coast fast, sort of like the cruise was on, at low and high speeds it would cruise on its own (not good)
..the shop that installed this TB and tuned the car was unable to remedy the problem

#2-after the 218/224 112 cam:
..the above problem continued
..but, it now also has idling & surging issues (yes, even w/ that small of cam)
..when 1st started it jumps to high idle (1500+-) for about 30 secs then idles down to 1000 (its normal idle (?)) and i gotta make sure she's warm before i even think of putting it in gear
..on a warm start, it jumps to a high idle (1500+) for about 10-15 secs and then idles back down to its normal (?) 1000 & i always gotta wait for it to find its normal idle before i even think of putting it in gear!
..when it idles back down to aroud 1000 the dash lights, headlights, etc dim & get brighter repeatedly
..1 more thing, even when she's warm & it idles back to normal after a start, when you put it in gear (mostly reverse) it jumps to a high idle

i think i know i got more than 1 problem here, i think i've come to realize that we probably gotta take care of the high idle / fast coast issue probably first?

-does anybody have any suggestions on how to get it running good?
-the tuner / TB installer / cam installer (he also picked out the cam & TB) says if he tunes it to remedy the idling/surging it makes the idling/coasting/cruising issues worse & vise versa

any suggestions? what would drilling the throttle body do? thanks people!!
Old 04-07-2004, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would screw out the idler screw all the way...start the car and screw it back in till you get the idle u desire.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The high jumpy idle sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
Got to put that one out of the picture before making
holes you can't unmake.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
The high jumpy idle sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
Got to put that one out of the picture before making
holes you can't unmake.
This is a stock lil bolt on the TB....no "Drilling" required...
Old 04-07-2004, 11:15 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree on the vacuum leak. sounds like you have one.

try to find that first
Old 04-07-2004, 08:33 PM
Teching In

How do you adjust the idle on a stock 98 TA throttle body? Where is this screw that you guys are talking about. I had this same problem but what i did was i dremeled down the idle air area in the TB and it made the idle lower
Old 04-08-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

I know it is a different set-up but my vette ran better and better as i increased the size of the tb hole. Remember mine does not have a hole from the factory (electric)and until i did this my car would hunt/stall often w/ my small cam -- much worse after headers. I ended up at 7/32 I think and it finally runs "stocklike." I'm on stock heads and Intake.
It sounds as though you already are getting enough air (hi idle/coast) I did not know ported tbs could be this bigga problem.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mirek
I know it is a different set-up but my vette ran better and better as i increased the size of the tb hole. Remember mine does not have a hole from the factory (electric)and until i did this my car would hunt/stall often w/ my small cam -- much worse after headers. I ended up at 7/32 I think and it finally runs "stocklike." I'm on stock heads and Intake.
It sounds as though you already are getting enough air (hi idle/coast) I did not know ported tbs could be this bigga problem.
i don't think i even have a hole in the throttle body blade!
Old 04-08-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02SSZ7D
i don't think i even have a hole in the throttle body blade!
Hmmm, You also have a cable or screw or something "i had thought."
Mine is 100% electric & throttle is set by the puter keeping the blade open a crack. You have to drill mine as you can only tune it to idle higher with the throttle open more - like my foot was on the gas. At least that was true before ls1 edit & still is i think.
Any way it runs perfect now 100% perfect. But most of these guys are drilling holes (i thought so anyway).