Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP y-pipe fitment issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP y-pipe fitment issues

I tried just about every angle I can to get these to line up, and it's still quite a ways off. Am I doing something wrong (everything is still loose, so there is some play, but not near enough)? Hooker LT's into TSP y.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

I am waiting on my y TSP y to arrive. So I don't have any help for you, but I am hoping it is due to the Hooker headers, since I have TSP LTs.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Way2Fast
I am waiting on my y TSP y to arrive. So I don't have any help for you, but I am hoping it is due to the Hooker headers, since I have TSP LTs.
I have pacesetters and a tsp y, I have no fitment problems at all. You should be fine.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Try putting the y-pipe all together very loosely first and then put the whole assembly on the headers.

I have Hooker headers w/TSP y-pipe, that was the only way I could get it to fit. Fit fine after that.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Make sure everything is loose including the header bolts while lining it up. Are you sure you have all the pieces of the y pipe on the correct sides and going the correct direction? Everything should bolt together without too much trouble.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put the rear jackstands under your axle tubes which will tuck your torque arm and driveshaft up out of the way where they belong. From there, it looks like you should have an easier time of it after you tuck each of those short pipes up nearer the body panel.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like the first piece on the drivers side is turned the wrong way. Turn it where it angles Down and it should bring it in closer I had the same problem at first. I subscribed and will reply ASAP to help. Just FYI my drivers side is 4 fingers from the ground lol
Old 09-14-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's my thread on my clearance issues.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1580045-tsp-stainless-ypipe-help.html
Old 09-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Teching In

I have Hooker LT & TSP cated y-pipe yes it hits every thing & was a pane to fit & had to cut some. i posted pix in someone else's tsp fitment post, if u want to look it up.. but hears a real quick what i did if it helps
after fitting it i got it all together but couldn't move the I pipe back far enuf to go on to the y pipe... so starting with just the y part on the cat back. I had to put the drivers side together first then into the y. slid bolth sides up on the headers as far as i could then slid pas side back in to the y part well poling back on the I pipe.

found the link
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ed-y-pipe.html

Last edited by gorr4; 09-15-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: add link
Old 09-15-2012, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same headers and the non stainless 2nd gen TSP oryp. I had some small fitment issues and had to assemble the rear pipes first. I put the short pipe on the drivers header and leave it loose so you can rotate it to fit. I also had to use a cheap rachet strap to slightly pull the header collectors together to get it started and that helped alot as the gap was too big. I wouldnt loosen the header bolts to do this as they need to seal to the heads before pulling on them. One good trip around the block and the header primaires will bend to fit whatever force is put on them when pulled together to install the y pipe. I also used a rubber hammer to bump it on and all was good. Never hurts to use penetrating oil to ease the install either. I see Hooker still puts the pass side o2 sensor bung on the wrong damn side. BTW I installed poly mm's at the same time.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:59 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I can't link to it at the moment but there's a thread I did that had great pics of Fitment and what-not. Search my "threads started" and it'll come up. It WILL work
Old 09-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Teching In

I had some fitment issues with my Tsp catted y also. The big thing is to get the pipe of the drivers side adjusted right and assemble it from the headers back, connecting the I pipe last. I ended up having to cut a 1/2 inch of my i pipe. Also remember to keep all your clamps loose. The clearance isn't as good a I would have hoped but it defiantly helped.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

I fit a pack of cigs below the lowest point of my y pipe and still had about 2" above the pack to the pipe.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry, about the lack of updates, I've been busy. I was finally able to piece it together assembling the Y-pipe first, then fitting to the headers (thank for the suggestions, and great wife for helping me). I used a jack to put a little pressure on that drivers I-pipe, from a suggestion in the link 14k put up, and it tucked everything up nicely.

Here is a picture from when I dropped it off the jack stands. I'll take it for a drive tomorrow, see if it settles any lower, but right now I'm happy with it.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh you *******!!!!! I wish I had that much clearance!! Iv got maybe 2" and to make things worse my headers are participating part time on the Drumline

Quick Reply: TSP y-pipe fitment issues