Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise near collector...normal??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ticking noise near collector...normal??

wuz up fellas...We installed LT and it stated making this ticking noise coming from the bottom of the car and sounds like its coming from the pass side collector....It is audible at idle and it has that same noise coming from the driver side only not as clear....What could it be ??..Well I did a search and found out some ways to see if it will eliminate it,....

1).Leaks...checked it out twice at two different muffler shops (Deer Park Muffler and a buddy's muffler shop in Baytown....results:...small leak on driverside collector.....solution: welded it at all clamping points to eliminate all leaks....(cheap clamps)...ticking was still there!!!

2). I talked to a guy who is on this site too and has a SSOM RAM AIR..works at Baytown Ford....he told me it was normal because of the headers being thin gauged as opposed to cast iron maniflds..which will make more noises audible....He has the same ticking from his FLP's....That made me feel a little better!!....Especially coming from a guy who knows based on his experience......(Sunset LS1)...

3). something about doing the A.I.R. restrictor mod... ...That this should help the ticking noise...still wondering on whether or not I should try it...

4)..Something about maybe a lifter being bad or stuck or
something hopefully it's not something internally wrong....
But from doing searches ..I found that alot of this is normal...In other words it's fairly common...

So any other suggestions????....I checked the plugs and all is well....just need to check the header bolts (gaskets)..but I don't think its that because the noise isn't audible from the engine bay...No smoke no codes???

What could it be????.Is it normal ???? for some cars???

Thanx...I know alot of people with headers would like to know too..
Old 04-07-2004, 03:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thin-wall headers -will- transmit some noise through
the wall. If you had it up on a lift you could listen
with a stethoscope or bit of tubing and see if there
is a point source (which would be a leak) or if it is
the same all around the collector & the primaries,
and louder as you approach the metal (which would be
plain acoustic transmission).
Old 04-07-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Well since I am a friggin pro at this ticking noise (don't want to be, but I think I am)

Anyhow #1 is re-check all your plugs and plug wires, I bet thats where the ticking noise is coming from!

If that works or doesn't work, you still need to take care of your AIR system, if the ticking noise is gone from fixing the plugs and plug wires then your check valves are just fine and don't need to be replaced, but you will need to make a black off plate and drill a whole in the block off plate, I think the whole is 3/16. Here is a link that will help you out http://riptide63.homestead.com/restrictor.html

You said you checked for exhuast leaks around the header so I won't mention that, but if you have done those procedures and still not gotten rid of the damn annoying ticking sound, you should then take off your headers and put a new gasket in place, maybe the one you got sucked?

Good luck, and BTW my car is now tick free, except for a very very faint tick that is normally associated with LT headers.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

It is normal. lol.