Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To port or not to port 102

Old 09-17-2012, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To port or not to port 102

OK. Seeing as I have been out of the game for about 5 years, the car has seen roughly 2k miles over the last 5 years, has not seen the track since the days of running the antique Lunati 231/237 lazy lobe cam(5+ years), I have decided to blow the dust off and start a winter revival for spring track runs. On to my questions.

I have recently purchased a FAST 102 intake and FAST 102 TB. I am currently using the Lunati VooDoo 232/238 cam and old Absolute Speed Stg2 5.3 heads exhausting through old Jet-Hot 1 3/4 LT's.

Would it be worth the extra expense to have the intake sent out and ported?

If so, what are the going cost in porting the 102?

What kind of gains can I expect ported vs non ported?

EDIT: Stock bottom end

I will be running an SD tune as always and using the FTP 85mm lid if that helps.

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Violatorno1; 09-17-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you have $500 Tony Mamo has been doing them the longest seems to me to be the man on all fast intakes...I had mine done by him. You can search for his threads, here is an example

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...e-results.html

Mamo is also a great guy and will answer your questions and give you any information you need. With all the support he gives, the quality of his work, and the fact that he delivers when he says he wil , top dollar is a bargain...I really feel that way. He's a badass.

Worth it? I dunno, at some point there are no more easy horsepower...then you need Mamo. Did I mention he's the head of R&D at AFR?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:38 PM
FormerVendor

Default Peak Speed Shop

Peak Speed Shop would be glad to port your FAST 102 manifold. We charge $250 + return shipping. We specialize in intake manifold and throttle body porting. We are a Supporting Vendor on LS1Tech, sell FAST products and port many FAST manifolds. You can find out more about us at http://www.peakspeedshop.com/

Here is what a recent customer had to say about our work:

I received my intake about a month ago. I only had my unported 90mm Fast as a comparison. I could see a huge difference in the ports especially at the gasket area. The port matching to my Mast Motorsports 245cc heads was worth the money right there. The opening behind the throttle body was also smoothed out as well. I also can't give dyno numbers since I'm in the middle of building an LS3 Stroker. But I will say you will get excellent service, price and free shipping with Peak Speed Shop. They rock!!
Warren – Dighton, MA (FAST102 ported – LS6)
Old 09-18-2012, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

This sounds very appealing but any idea what the gains may be going ported over just bolting up? I just realized that the one thing I did not mention in the mods above is that this will be replacing the current LS6 intake along with replacing the stock ported TB with the FAST 102 TB. I also plan to replace the 1 3/4 Jet-Hots with TSP 1 7/8 and scrapping the old Hooker Y-pipe for TSP's y-pipe over winter.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be a lot of threads you can read, here is another, I believe tony says in there:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-102-fast.html
Old 09-19-2012, 11:17 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Violatorno1
This sounds very appealing but any idea what the gains may be going ported over just bolting up? I just realized that the one thing I did not mention in the mods above is that this will be replacing the current LS6 intake along with replacing the stock ported TB with the FAST 102 TB. I also plan to replace the 1 3/4 Jet-Hots with TSP 1 7/8 and scrapping the old Hooker Y-pipe for TSP's y-pipe over winter.
On an LS6, the FAST 102 unported generally gains about 10 rwhp (about 20 rwhp on an LS1). Our customers generally gain another 8-10 rwhp from having us port the FAST 102.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To port or not to port 102