Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Car started freaking out

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! Car started freaking out

Hey guys i was doing some low speed rolls vs my friends gto nothing to hard and the car after a few times started running real bad.
Its not dieing out but it acts like it wants to the exhaust got louder and now the car sounds like it has a cam in it and smells like gas and when i give gas it hesitates then goes the hesitates again.
It seems like a cylinder is not geting spark because of the raw fuel smell whats the best way to diagnose it? It s not throwing a check engine light yet.

Thsnks guys.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start with the spark plug wires and coil pack... maybe something is loose.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

It can be your fuel pump if its smelling really bad like gas.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Definitely getting overfuelled, you need to find if you have a dead cylinder or not. Let it idle and unplug one coil or injector at a time, whichever one doesn't make much difference when unplugged is your dead hole. Another way to ck for a dead cylinder, especially if you have headers is to start the car from cold, let it run for less than a minute, 30 seconds should do, then by feel, or with an inferred thermometer (temp gun), check to see which pipe is cold/cooler than the rest. Be careful not to burn yourself! The exhaust get hot fast!

On an outside chance, if all the cylinders are the same, you could have a bad sensor(s) that is making the pcm command lots of extra fuel. My car did this with the stock pcm, replaced it and all was fine (that was with the TPI engine though).
Old 09-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Mine devoloped a miss leaving a light one night,could smell excess fuel,got home & found #8 plug wire burned on the header.

Replaced wire & all is well.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well you said you were racing, do you my chance have stock pushrods?

also do you have an electronic laser temp gauge? if you do then get your car up to temp, and point the temp gauge at each exhaust pipe, the one that is a drastic different temperature will be your culprit
Old 09-18-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm. Cats and 02 sensors would be on my "to check" list.

Quick Reply: Help! Car started freaking out