Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help figuring out a miss, wire resistance.. 99 LS1 (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help figuring out a miss, wire resistance.. 99 LS1 (Video)

I have a small miss at idle. It also misses in the upper rpms, 4500-5500. It does pull through the hesitation and keep going strong up to 6k. I have checked my coils with a spark testor and all have the same strength and amount of spark. My plugs are TR55 new last summer, my wires are MSD super conductor and are abt 2yrs old. My coils are oem. My next step is to check the resistance of the wires to make sure theyre good. I am not sure where to check or how to check this. I did a search and came up with nothing. Lots of talk about checking resistance but no instructions on how. I am confident its not my coils beacuse the spark looked good, my plugs are new, I doubt its a fuel issue because it pulls all the way up to 6k plus I have a 255 pump. Last thing I can think of is plug wires. Just need help checking the resistance and where to set my multimeter. I understand you want to set it closest possible to where your wires are without goin under. Below is a short vid of it idling, you can catch the miss every so often. Would appreciate some help here guys, thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3uh...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-19-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to test the resistance of your spark plug wires, you need to take your wire off, and at each end of the wire boot, look insde and youll see a metal clip that attaches to the coil side, and to the spark plug side...your multimeter will go on each end, and tell you your resistance reading.

do you know speciifically which cylinder is misfiring?
if so, you can start by swapping certain componets with a different cylinder to rule out whatever bad part you have.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:30 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

No I am not sure where it is coming from. I will check the wires and report back. If the wires are good what else do you think it could be? I am running a powerbond UD pulley and th ehigh rpm miss didnt start until after I did the pulley. I have read a few threads where a pulley can make a car miss at high rpms? Whats this about? The idle miss has been around for a while however. My o2s are also new. I may try a new fuel filter too
Old 09-20-2012, 04:02 PM
b0b
TECH Apprentice

All my wire were within 28-32 ohm except one. It has corosion in the coil end of it. It wouldnt read on the multimeter at all. I ordered a new one and am crossing my fingers that this will cure the problems. It has some rust and also green corosion. This wire did still fire with the same spark as all the others though..

Quick Reply: Need help figuring out a miss, wire resistance.. 99 LS1 (Video)