Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone else had this problem???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone else had this problem???

Ok well remember this post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=UGH i had started it a while back about that AWFUL EMBARRASING HIGH PITCHED noise that was coming from the car??

ok, well i finally took it to a shop that had a clue what it might be...

the guy said that it is an air pump that recirculates that air in the exhaust or whatever for emissions... I don't have cats or anything... now, the guy said that the air pump is going bad and that is why it is making the noise on start up and stuff, because it is trying to circulate that air...

it hasn't always done it, just a few weeks before that first post i did, and the car hasn't had cats since way before the noise started... but my question is... the guys said i could probably take it out, but he wasn't for sure if there was going to be a code i would have to delete or anything...

im not getting a code right now, so i didn't know if i would if we took out the pump completly or if there is just something I can unplug or a fuse I can take out....

any help on this would be appreciated!! at least now I know what it is... NOW, i have to figure out how to get it to stop...

Thanks so much guys!
Old 04-08-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

is this the AIR that some people have removed? just thought about this.....
Old 04-08-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

??????????? please i need an answer
Old 04-08-2004, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Yes that noise is definately the AIR pump. If it is connected you shouldnt hear the noise. I totally took out my AIR system but left the pump still connected. At first I couldnt figure out what that annoying noise was but it came down to the pump. I didnt want to mess with removing the pump so all I did was take out the relay in the fuse box under the hood. I forget which one it is but I'll go check after I post this and let you know what it is.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS GIRL
??????????? please i need an answer
Try this link: http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=70
Old 04-08-2004, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

DOH go figure... it says AIR PUMP on it. Its in the lower box closer to the headlight. Just pull it and you noise will go away. No sure if it will give you an SES light though. My air system was turned off a while back.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Just thought of something. The pump will make the noise if the vacum lines arent all connected. ( a big soft line about 3/4" diameter) Thats when I started hearing the noise.... I put on block off plates on my Jet Hots and removed everything else and didnt think about the pump at the time.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Launching!

I had mine deleted but i read that it will not set a code for a long time, like 2 weeks or something. I don't know if it will but there is one way to find out.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dudas35
I had mine deleted but i read that it will not set a code for a long time, like 2 weeks or something. I don't know if it will but there is one way to find out.
It would prob be around 250-300 miles of driving. Thats when mine use to always pop up after I would reset it.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, so just pull out the whole damn system? LOL.... or just the connectors... i have stock headers and all that...

just no cats... so, could something just be broke on it? first just check the vaccumm lines??

thanks for all the info
Old 04-08-2004, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS GIRL
ok, so just pull out the whole damn system?
Just pull that AIR pump relay put for now and see if it does go away for sure. If it does, you can just leave it that way.