Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble starting/running with bigger MAF

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trouble starting/running with bigger MAF

Ok long story short, I went from a stock ls1 to a LS3 427. It has a fast 102/102 with a TSP 100mm MAF sensor. For the longest we couldn't get it to crank until one day we unplugged the MAF sensor and then it fired right up. For a good while it wouldn't crank with the MAF sensor plugged up but eventually I guess it "learned" the new sensor.

I've got a Frost tune to just get me up and started. It's running very rich and I've already fouled a set of spark plugs. So here's my problem, after changing the plugs we had to unplug the MAF sensor again to get it to run. Out of curiosity we plugged up my stock MAF sensor and it started running smoother. Now I know my PCM has been tuned for the 100mm MAF sensor and I don't know what plugging the stock one back up does to it. But could this mean that the 100mm MAF sensor is bad? Also shouldn't the MAF sensor help level out my A/F ratio so it isn't running so rich?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

TSP 100 Maf are hard to dial in unless you get a good dyno tune, due to the credit card style sensor and the large area of air passing by it. Honestly, i would just go with a Delphi 85mm Maf, lot easier to tune and your really not going to be giving anything up.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marksboy I see you found my post on p0102 and the incorrectly wired harness from racetronix. I'll bet you a shiny nickel rewiring it will fix it. I was stoked as hell to find that
Old 09-26-2012, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

I saw that you mentioned that you had your sensor in backwards. How can you tell which way it goes?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cartridge itself has an arrow on it.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Truck needs to get on a dyno for someone to really be able to get the new tables adjusted to work correctly. Mail Order tuning with the large MAFs is definitely not ideal. Get someone in person to tune the truck you will be much happier, assuming they no what their doing.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

I plan on getting my car dyno tuned but I've got to get it where I can drive it first. Right now it won't even idle. I've got to perform a case relearn because I have a new crank sensor.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can't get it to run with the 100mm maf before the tune I recommend driving to the tuner with your stock MAF, and then swapping things out once you arrive.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron@Texas-Speed
Truck needs to get on a dyno for someone to really be able to get the new tables adjusted to work correctly. Mail Order tuning with the large MAFs is definitely not ideal. Get someone in person to tune the truck you will be much happier, assuming they no what their doing.
This.

There is nothing wrong with a large card style maf. They just got a bad rep because too many people that don't know what their doing try to tune them. Once tuned by someone who knows large maf's, they work great.

Quick Reply: Trouble starting/running with bigger MAF