Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any serious problems/issues with LTs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any serious problems/issues with LTs?

Hey guys! I am finally getting my Jet Hot LTs and catted Y pipe installed next week. Are there any issues I should expect after the install? I have a 2001 WS6 M6 with lid and GMMG. Are there any real big issues with the LTs, or are they pretty reliable? What about tuning, will it hurt running on the stock tune for a while? Basicly, will the LTs be more problems than there worth? Thanks!
Old 04-09-2004, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

Default LT's

I am having problems with my FLP's that I installed yesterday. The car is slower and hesitates pretty bad when under 2500 rpms. I am getting a random misfire still. I put new plugs and wires in the car when I installed the headers. I am hoping that I just have to tune the car and be done with it..
Old 04-09-2004, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

no, i think u messed something up on the install. there are thousands of people running around with out a tune and lts. wait for the tune when u get a cam, no point in doing it right now u wont see much unless ur A/F ratio is horrible. after my lt install i noticed a big difference and im finally just getting my car tuned tomorrow since i installed a cam. i was running my lts for about six months w/o tune.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Default LT's

Do you have any ideas on what I could of done wrong????
Old 04-09-2004, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

hmm, i can try and help u for now but i dont know near as much as a lot of these guys. any ticking sounds?
Old 04-09-2004, 01:45 AM
Staging Lane

Default LT's

No ticking sounds, just no power under 2500rpm's and alot of shaking when acclerating..
Old 04-09-2004, 01:55 AM
On The Tree

did u use the o2 sensors and sims?
Old 04-09-2004, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

random mis fire codes...check your plugs to make sure they went in correctly. check the plug wires as well. check your front o2 sensors to make sure they are still good. i have heard some cars "reject" headers but i would think the stock tune could handle the extra exhaust flow
Old 04-09-2004, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

snk sknr, did you double check all your wires to make sure they're plugged in all the way? Also, did you drop any of your spark plugs during the install? If so, you may have damaged the porcelin which causes no spark. Is the 02 sensor plugged in all the way? That can also cause it to run like ***. Just throwing some possible causes out for you. Good luck man.

Robbie
Old 04-09-2004, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Checking plug wire connections and plugs is a good idea. In general the car will run richer after you install LT's so a retune is recommended.

BlkBrd, as long as the LT's are installed competently with good quality gaskets (I'd recommend the OEM GM exhaust gaskets) you should be fine. Most LT problems center around ground clearance (often they hang lower) or floorpan banging due to the Y-pipe. In some cases (and this depends on the design) they can make maintenance a bit more difficult (e.g. oil filter/drainplug access, etc.). I can't think of any good reason not to get a good set of LT's myself...
Old 04-09-2004, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Nope headers are great. Just a few things you gotta get used to.

Like- The car will stank, even with cats (Maybe the tuning I get done next week will help, buts its been about a year now and and I'v gotten used to it)
The car will be louder, so if you have an annoying catback you might be upset, I have Corsa and its purty.
You could get ticking noises (make sure you do this http://riptide63.homestead.com/restrictor.html it'll save you a headache) make sure you do all your plugs and plug wires right, clamp that exhaust down good.

Run open headers for a quick drive to the supermarket, its fun
Old 04-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Snk Sknr you might of put your o2 sensors on backwards that can cause your to run like ****
Old 04-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

Default LT's

The only thing that I did was I took the passenger side rear O2 and moved it into the collector on the passenger side. FLP told me to do that..