Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: TSP TD vs GMMG
GMMG/Catted Y
56.41%
TSP TD's
35.90%
Keep the Hooker
2.56%
Other
5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

TSP TD's or GMMG

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TSP TD's or GMMG

Ok I currently have hooker lt's, offroad y, and hooker catback. After getting the catback I've grown to hate it. It sounds exactly like the car did when it just had a flowmaster weld in. The fit and finish of the catback was way worse than I remember them being. I have had tsp TD's before and I know how they sound. I'm torn between buying the non vendor "gmmg" catback and a catted y or TSP TD's. I never thought I'd care about the tone and sound of my car. I'm open to other suggestions as well.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:43 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I voted duals.... Having said that, Mad Hammer has always been the manufacturer of the GMMG exhaust.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-08-2012, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I voted duals.... Having said that, Mad Hammer has always been the manufacturer of the GMMG exhaust.
Thats what I had been told. I know that it is the exact same kit. I sent them an email with no reply. I'm only worried that I'll order and pay for an exhaust that won't be built for a few weeks. Anyone ordered directly from them?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

True Duels but I would bring them over axle and out the rear.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

SSickls1ss's car has a refined sound that I like.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:12 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I'm just not a fan of 2.25" tailpipes. And I know people say "Just run a cut-out" but it's just another component to fail after time.

I will say though that I think a MagnaMouth sounds better than a GMMG. Understand it's all a matter of perspective, OP. There's actually folks out there that do NOT like the tone of duals.

http://youtu.be/Rui8MA5Uv80
Old 10-08-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I voted other...kooks TD's all the way!

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/d...0120133210.mp4
Old 10-08-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on what sound you are looking for. Gmmg will be loud and raspy vs TD's which will be more of a clean, deep tone. Personally I would keep the Hkr catback and throw a cut out on it.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

A buddy of mine had gmmg's on his trans am with a tsp catted y and it sounded great. However, my 99 ss with tsp true duals sounded good too. Gah, this is tougher than I thought.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Question. Why use a catted Y? Is your state strict on emissions? As for my car, I had tsp true duals and loved them, but putting a big cam in my car made it too rowdy for the street and got kind of annoying to drive. So I bought a tsp ory, 3 inch cutout and a hooker catback and love it. But everyone is different it is all YOUR own preference.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

The catted y would be to help with rasp on the gmmg's. Im starting to lean towards the tue duals. Better flow and less expensive.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

And they make more power. lol But IMO sell the bullets that come with them and put on Spintech super pro streets. Sounds soooo much better.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1TransAm
And they make more power.

True but here have been a few 500rwh cars on here running catbacks w/ cut outs.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:06 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
True but here have been a few 500rwh cars on here running catbacks w/ cut outs.
Very true. There's a few over 500 with 1 3/4" headers as well.

Ever wondered what a car like THAT is leaving on the table though?
Old 10-09-2012, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ordered my kit directly from Gary at Madhammer about a year ago. I emailed him also and after a few days of no reply I just called. Building those kits are his pass time and generaly only makes them after he has sold one. He told me that at the time I ordered mine he didn't have any built and that he would have to build me one. So I sent the money through Paypal and 6 days later there was a GMMG sitting by my garage door when I got off work. Duals sound nice and make better power but I prefer not scrapping my pipes on the ground or any rocks on the street (because I like for my car to look as good as it sounds so It's lowered with BMR/Koni's), or smelling like gas every time I get out of my car, and my wife won't get in it any more or let me take the kids anywhere in it because the vibration and noise intensity annoyes them. My GMMG and Kooks setup tucks nicely (better than stock) and I haven't scraped on anything, ever. I never smell fumes in the car, and it's still tame enough cruising that the wife and kids will go and take a joy ride with me from time to time which is something I enjoy having them come along too. The GMMG sounds fantastic and looks amazing (I spent some time polishing my entire kit), but with duals all you see behind the car is the ugly pumpkin sitting there along with that flimsy panhard bar, or in your case, a nice T/A bumper that now has a spot for exhaust tips that are missing and just makes the car look weird. I get more compliments from people saying it either looks fantastic, sounds great or that they have never seen/heard anything like it. I can always put a cutout after each collector if performance ever becomes so restricted that I have to have that extra bit of power for my street car. And it's stainless so I never have to worry about it ever rusting up and looking like crap or the metal starting to corrode sicne no one makes a stainless TD kit. IMO for a street car TD's arent' worth it for the sound and performance going to and from work or out on the afternoon weekend cruise. My GMMG sounds great and is capable of supporting more power than I plan to make. And if plans change, I guess that's what cutouts are for. I had a set of Powersticks on a 2.5 TD set up on my old 94 Z28 that had a hotcam in it. It was so loud that nobody wanted to ride in the car. My wife hated it because it would wake up the kids when I left for work and wouldn't ride in it with me any more because of the fumes. That and I just got tired of it myself. It sounded nice but I literally couldn't just sit back and enjoy driving the car because I was always so paranoid of something in the road that would rip my pipes off. Just not worth it to me, but good luck with whatever you go with. And just keep in mind this all IMO and that exhaust sound is all personal opinion. If there was a law that said an LS1 must sound a certan way then there would only be one kit built and everyone would be forced to buy it. GO with whatever you like and meets your goals.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
I ordered my kit directly from Gary at Madhammer about a year ago. I emailed him also and after a few days of no reply I just called. Building those kits are his pkass time and generaly only makes them after he has sold one. He told me that at the time I ordered mine he didn't have any built and that he would have to build me one. So I sent the money through Paypal and 6 days later there was a GMMG sitting by my garage door when I got off work. Duals sound nice and make better power but I prefer not scrapping my pipes on the ground or any rocks on the street (because I like for my car to look as good as it sounds so It's lowered with BMR/Koni's), or smelling like gas every time I get out of my car, and my wife won't get in it any more or let me take the kids anywhere in it because the vibration and noise intensity annoyes them. My GMMG and Kooks setup tucks nicely (better than stock) and I haven't scraped on anything, ever. I never smell fumes in the car, and it's still tame enough cruising that the wife and kids will go and take a joy ride with me from time to time which is something I enjoy having them come along too. The GMMG sounds fantastic and looks amazing (I spent some time polishing my entire kit), but with duals all you see behind the car is the ugly pumpkin sitting there along with that flimsy panhard bar, or in your case, a nice T/A bumper that now has a spot for exhaust tips that are missing and just makes the car look weird. I get more compliments from people saying it either looks fantastic, sounds great or that they have never seen/heard anything like it. I can always put a cutout after each collector if performance ever becomes so restricted that I have to have that extra bit of power for my street car. And it's stainless so I never have to worry about it ever rusting up and looking like crap or the metal starting to corrode sicne no one makes a stainless TD kit. IMO for a street car TD's arent' worth it for the sound and performance going to and from work or out on the afternoon weekend cruise. My GMMG sounds great and is capable of supporting more power than I plan to make. And if plans change, I guess that's what cutouts are for. I had a set of Powersticks on a 2.5 TD set up on my old 94 Z28 that had a hotcam in it. It was so loud that nobody wanted to ride in the car. My wife hated it because it would wake up the kids when I left for work and wouldn't ride in it with me any more because of the fumes. That and I just got tired of it myself. It sounded nice but I literally couldn't just sit back and enjoy driving the car because I was always so paranoid of something in the road that would rip my pipes off. Just not worth it to me, but good luck with whatever you go with. And just keep in mind this all IMO and that exhaust sound is all personal opinion. If there was a law that said an LS1 must sound a certan way then there would only be one kit built and everyone would be forced to buy it. GO with whatever you like and meets your goals.
the kooks true duals have plenty of clereance...the only reason i dont lower my car is the big curb at the end of my driveway...even then it might be fine.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/16793939-post2.html
Old 10-09-2012, 06:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered directly from Gary (Madhammer). I called him on the phone as well to get ahold of him and he answered right away. Nice guy, even bs'd with me for a bit. When I ordered mine, he was waiting on material to build another batch of them and he was also having issues with his shipping he was trying to resolve at the time. All that being said, if I remember right, it was only about a week and a half wait until it was at my front door.

As far as the rasp goes, Im currently bolt-ons with shorty's so mine sounds great. However, for the cam/heads/longtube/and or stroker guys, I know some people put a 3rd muffler in the I-pipe.

Madhammer also offers the individual chambered mufflers (the same ones used in the GMMG system) for sale. I've often wondered if you called gary and asked him to weld in a 3rd chambered muffler into the I-pipe how much extra it would be and if he'd be willing to do it.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
the kooks true duals have plenty of clereance...the only reason i dont lower my car is the big curb at the end of my driveway...even then it might be fine.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/16793939-post2.html
While the Kooks TD system is top quality and a nice peice to look at the price is what gets me. For almost the exact dollar price of the TD kit I was able to purchase my Kooks 1 7/8 headers, Kooks ORY (On sale from Maryland speed), GMMG and everything needed to install them. Keeping that in mind that the Kooks TD are designed to fit the Kooks headers and since the OP doesn't have Kooks to begin with he would be out of pocket even more so to have an exhaust shop modify them to fit the headers he already has. Just my .02
Old 10-09-2012, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
While the Kooks TD system is top quality and a nice peice to look at the price is what gets me. For almost the exact dollar price of the TD kit I was able to purchase my Kooks 1 7/8 headers, Kooks ORY (On sale from Maryland speed), GMMG and everything needed to install them. Keeping that in mind that the Kooks TD are designed to fit the Kooks headers and since the OP doesn't have Kooks to begin with he would be out of pocket even more so to have an exhaust shop modify them to fit the headers he already has. Just my .02
i paid 1350 for my kooks true dual exhaust...2k with the headers. he can always sell his existing exhaust to recoop some cash. after selling my flowmaster catback and hooker lt's I have 1600.00 into my entire kooks setup.

Quick Reply: TSP TD's or GMMG