Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZO6 MAF.... Do i have to tune for it??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZO6 MAF.... Do i have to tune for it??

Do i have to tune for it, or can i just hook it up??
Old 10-15-2012, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will definitely need to tune for it.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 10-15-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

weelllll ****! i let my bro give my ported maf away with his ta he just sold in order to keep this 85mm maf... wasnt planning on a tune til spring.. looks like im gonna have to find a stocker or spend 500 bucks on HP Tuners.. think ill find a stocker til tax time.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

you should be able to pick up a stock one for around $50 to hold you until then
Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

if car was already tuned, how much of a gain could one expect over a stocker??
Old 10-15-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

honestly, your not going to notice really anything of a gain just switching the MAF. Let me know, i have a stock maf in my garage
Old 10-15-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

i notice small gains in my car... i can tell a huge difference just in afternoon to evening temps on how hard my car runs... How much would you want for the MAF? i dont need it at the moment, maybe in 2 or 3 weeks...
Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i don't know what they go for, but maybe like $60 shipped, that would cover the paypal fees and the shipping cost either way just lemme know
Old 10-15-2012, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by moge11
if car was already tuned, how much of a gain could one expect over a stocker??
Unless you have heads, cam, and full bolt ons don't expect to gain anything at all.

I gained nothing noticeable on the street or track even with a decent size cam, worked heads, and a fast intake.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I drover my car after I switch from stock to 85mm truck maf without a tune for a while. The car was driveable but I always refrain myself from driving hard and after the street tune it definitely make the idle more smooth. Don't expect any big gain on dyno though. There's more restriction on the front of the intake manifold other than maf that choking the motor.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i didnt go with a bigger MAF until i changed my intake and TB. i was getting tuned anyway and figured it would help.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by raysadude
I drover my car after I switch from stock to 85mm truck maf without a tune for a while. The car was driveable but I always refrain myself from driving hard and after the street tune it definitely make the idle more smooth. Don't expect any big gain on dyno though. There's more restriction on the front of the intake manifold other than maf that choking the motor.
So do you have any idea how rich or lean the A/F ratio was before the tune?? was it still a safe ratio??? it wasnt something crazy lean like above 13.5:1 was it?? was your car faster or slower, or basically the same with the 85mm MAF before tuning?? Sorry for all the questions, but i dont really have the money to buy HP Tuners right now or to waste on another stock MAF right now. Thanks
Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

If I were you I would find someone to trade for a stock one if you are that tight on funds.

Have you looked at it to make sure it uses the stock style plug? A lot of the 85mm MAFs use a 5 pin single plug for MAF and IAT instead of 2 separate plugs. If you need that, get ready to drop another $30+ just to get the MAF plugged up to the car. At which point you're within spitting distance of just buying the right MAF.

You absolutely will not gain anything on a basically stock car from an 85mm maf sensor unless something was wrong with the stock sensor or tune that tuning for the new sensor corrected. A tuned stock MAF car and a tuned 85mm MAF car would show no difference outside the margin of error of the dyno pulls.

You can always pick up the bigger maf cheap later when you have heads/cam/intake.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't notice a difference but it does look better than having an iat sensor running to your lid. I have mine tilted sideways to where it looks like I'm running MAFless lol
Old 10-16-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

i have the ZO6 MAF and adapter harness.... just because YOU wont notice a difference doesnt mean that I wont... I noticed A HUGEEEE difference in descreening and lightly porting the maf, and porting my throttle body... waaay more of difference doing that, then what the SLP Lid added. then gutted my lower airbox and got EVEN MORE! The stock MAF seems to be more of a restriction than the stock throttle body.. Therefore, since i have this 85mm, im gonna use it. If i gain 0.5 mph in the 1/8, then it was well worth it to me... If i could get my car out right now and go racing in this air that we have now, my car would be runnin 8.1x's@ 87+mph with nothin more than a SLP lid and freemods. Now i plan to run this 85mm maf, get an LS6 intake, then HP tuners and FULLY expect to be runnin 7.'s on street tires @88ish in 70ish degree weather and 89-90mph in 50 degree weather all through my stock exhaust...and 7.6x or faster on ET STREET RADIALS.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

just because YOU wont notice a difference doesnt mean that I wont...
the butt dyno is the most useless performance indicator available

my posts are in reference to: EFI Live scans of MAP versus atmosphere and VE calculations as well as corrected and uncorrected ET/MPH at the track

I do consider perceived gains in response or output...but I don't trust them nearly as much as real data. They are deceptive enough as is but even more so when you "want" there to be a change to reinforce the idea you've convinced yourself to justify costs/labor.

It won't "hurt" anything to install a properly tuned larger MAF, but I highly advise against installing one without a tune to rescale the table for it for any extended amount of time and if you do it anyway absolutely NO high throttle runs over 3500rpm should be done.

But carry on as you wish.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

gotcha.. but not only did i FEEL my gains, they showed on the track... and my gains were not immediately felt..My car just kept feeling faster everytime i drove it for about a 2 week span as the computer learned what was going on... so I CAN run it then until i get it tuned???.... thats what i needed to know.. i just need to be able to drive it to work for the next 2 months til i get a beater with a heater... thanks for the replies. much appreciated.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

You might ask a professional tuner but you might be better off installing it but leaving it unplugged so the car should see it as a fault and go into speed density mode where it relies on the VE table and MAP sensor and does not try to use the MAF at all.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So do you have any idea how rich or lean the A/F ratio was before the tune?? was it still a safe ratio??? it wasnt something crazy lean like above 13.5:1 was it?? was your car faster or slower, or basically the same with the 85mm MAF before tuning?? Sorry for all the questions, but i dont really have the money to buy HP Tuners right now or to waste on another stock MAF right now. Thanks
unfortunately i had no idea what was the a/f but on the base pull after i changed my MAF if i remember correctly it was running a little bit on the lean side. not crazy lean but more like 13.3-13.5 on WOT. but i think as long as you don't do WOT pulls you should be fine until you get a tune.

IMO if you don't have money to buy HP tuners now i'd just get a stocker. you can find them at a cheap price here in classified section.

Quick Reply: ZO6 MAF.... Do i have to tune for it??