Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with the new car

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with the new car

Recently purchased my dream car that turned out to not be as much of a dream as I had hoped. 04 corvette base, sold in what was thought to be great condition, find out the horn doesn't work due to bad horn contacts at the air bag module which for whatever reason is one piece so yep air bag was replaced for virtually no reason. Then have been dealing with a miss fire, swap plugs, plug wires, ignition pack, and injector and it still persists. Buddy of mine mentions taking a piece of paper at the tailpipes and seeing if I get any blowback. And wouldn't you know it that's exactly what I got. Exhaust air being sucked back into the 5th cylinder.checked compression and it's 100 psi compared to 160 of the others. So now planning on just swapping heads for another stock ls1s since its cheaper then doing a valve job. Does a leaky exhaust valve seem like the culprit? And other than gaskets for the heads and intake, and head bolts is there any other parts I need for the swaps? Thanks for any advice

FYI car has 60k miles on it
Old 10-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Do a compression leakdown test on it before you take it apart to verify thats what wrong with it. It should tell you where the leak is at. All you have to do is listen for the air.
Heres a link for ya.
http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/Co...akdowntest.htm
Old 10-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Airbag was changed for no reason? Sounds like a wreck to me, mabye he fixed it out of pocket to keep it off the insurance. Also just take your heads to a shop, get a valve job and go through them, then it's all new and no worries.

Quick Reply: Problems with the new car