Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the Guys With No Cat F-Body Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default For the Guys With No Cat F-Body Exhausts

I'm going to be running Pacesetter Long Tubes for my '98 Trans Am WS-6. I'm considering getting an ORY for the setup. I haven't really been able to find any pipes that promote high flow cats, only no cats.

Before I fully make-up my mind, I have a few questions that I would like to ask the guys with F-Bodies which have no catalytic converters in them:

1.) There was an issue in the Caddy CTS-V's when the Catalytic Converters are out, that the car smelled of rotten eggs from the exhaust fumes. Is there any "smell" similar to this in the F-Bodies when cats are deleted?

2.) Obviously running no cats setup is loud. How loud is this in the F-Body though? I love loud exhausts, but if it's loud enough to where I'm losing hearing then it's too loud for me. This IS a daily driver car. My runs usually consist of 20 minute to 30 minute tops drives. I seldom go on long trips. Between college and work, there's just no time for that.

3.) Not that this is too relevant, after all I do drive an eight cylinder car. But how does no cats affect MPG?

If there is something else that anyone reading this thread would recommend, please speak-up. I'm all ears at this point.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

I run slp long tubes, custom or-y, into a magnaflow cat back. I don't experience any rotten egg smell, the most I've had smell wise is just unburned fuel smell. I think the loudness of your exhaust will have to do with what type of muffler if any that you are running. My agenda flow is extremely quiet and it's a DD I can conduct conversations and can hear myself think in he car all the time. I didn't notice any increase or decrease with taking cats off, theoretically it shouldn't make a difference because all the cats are supposed to do is burn the unburned fuel that is spent through your exhaust, it doesn't put it back into your motor so either way you're losing that fuel
Old 10-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98WS6Hville
Before I fully make-up my mind, I have a few questions that I would like to ask the guys with F-Bodies which have no catalytic converters in them:

1.) There was an issue in the Caddy CTS-V's when the Catalytic Converters are out, that the car smelled of rotten eggs from the exhaust fumes. Is there any "smell" similar to this in the F-Bodies when cats are deleted?
cats are there to trap unburned exhaust gasses and burn them. if there isnt a cat there, the exhaust smells like an old carb car, aka smells like gasoline that is unburnt.
it isnt overpowering or anything.
2.) Obviously running no cats setup is loud. How loud is this in the F-Body though? I love loud exhausts, but if it's loud enough to where I'm losing hearing then it's too loud for me. This IS a daily driver car. My runs usually consist of 20 minute to 30 minute tops drives. I seldom go on long trips. Between college and work, there's just no time for that.
depends on the setup. usually its the drone that will get to you, rather than the actual dB of the exhaust setup itself. a solid muffler thrown on it will quiet it down
3.) Not that this is too relevant, after all I do drive an eight cylinder car. But how does no cats affect MPG?
any modifications to a vehicles exhaust system changes the backpressure on the system which will change how much fuel it burns.
This goes away with a good tune on the vehicle (which i dont have)

Also, I run open longtubes. no cats. no mufflers, just 2 3" tips chillin out right under my feet. And its RETARDED loud when you open it up. My friends affectionately refer to me starting my car as "warming up the Late Model"
It is also my DD, and you cannot carry a conversation inside it unless your lower than 1800rpms.

hope that helps some.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the quick reply. I just want to know exactly what I'm signing myself up for before I sign-up for it. I was considering doing the following setup:

*Pacesetter Coated Long Tube Headers
*Pacesetter ORY Pipe
*Flowmaster Cat-Back (already have this on my car)

Is there anything else that I will need to purchase? The Long Tube Headers from the website that I am looking at already come with the appropriate gaskets.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Launching!

im assuming for the state youre in, they dont check you for emissions which makes doing this slightly less of a big deal.

youll need a tune to delete out the rear 02s since you wont be using them anymore, otherwise youll be staring at a check engine light everyday.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Launching!

I'm not an F-body, but I have ran catless on my current GTO and my truck I used to have. There is an occasion when you may get a whif of unburnt fuel, but I rarely smelled it on either vehicle. Both custom tuned. Sure, it will have an aroma, if you are standing right by the exhaust tips, if the wind is blowing in your face, but it was never over powering. My wife is not really into the car thing, and she did say something one day when I drove by her slowly, but in vehicle, she has never even smelled it. It may add a little higher pitch sound to the exhaust, and drone, as was mentioned, but the right muffler can aid in this. If it's too much, it is very easy to also add a flow through resonator, to calm it down some more.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dckmn52
im assuming for the state youre in, they dont check you for emissions which makes doing this slightly less of a big deal.

youll need a tune to delete out the rear 02s since you wont be using them anymore, otherwise youll be staring at a check engine light everyday.
Yes, the car will be tuned and Alabama doesn't have any rules on emissions. I'm actually going to be doing a lot of work with the WS-6. Basically new: valve covers, heads, pushrods, cam, oil pump, dual valve springs, timing chain, and a few other things. Figured while I'm doing all of this, I might as well work with the exhaust.

Alright, well thanks everyone for the help. It cleared up all of the questions I had.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Launching!

The car will stink bad. Like an old muscle car from the 60's. If you're driving it for long distances without stopping you won't notice it. In stop and go traffic with your windows open, it can get stinky and your clothes will stink like fumes.

It will also be a good bit louder without cats. The more mods and power you make, the louder it will be.

I don't run cats but many times wished I did.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cranny
The car will stink bad. Like an old muscle car from the 60's. If you're driving it for long distances without stopping you won't notice it. In stop and go traffic with your windows open, it can get stinky and your clothes will stink like fumes.

It will also be a good bit louder without cats. The more mods and power you make, the louder it will be.

I don't run cats but many times wished I did.
u must have exhaust dumped at the axles and running very rich because i've had 3 camaros with no cats and LT, ORY with exhaust out the back and never had that problem
Old 10-27-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My recommendation:

TSP 1 7/8" LT's
TSP ORY
Borla Cat-Back

That is my exact combo and I have yet to hear someone with a better sounding exhaust (both pre and post cam). 1 7/8" primary headers have been dyno proven to not produce any less low end power and produce more top end power. The TSP ORY outflows anything else on the market (stock), and the Borla is adjustable so you can change it for how loud you want it. Just my two cents though. That flowmaster will sound terrible and flows like crap. Hate to break it to ya. Cat-less LS1's are tough to make sound good. At 2000ish they tend to get real raspy unless setup properly.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Idk where you heard about the CTS-Vs stinking, but my friends cammed car with LTs and no cats doesn't stink at all. My GTO with just LTs and no cats stunk like all hell.

Both tunes were spot on, so I think it varies car by car.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will be alot louder without the cats and it will have that ory smell. Its not bad. With the flowmaster it will be pretty loud.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

wrong section...damn I am getting tired of people that can't post in the correct section
Old 10-28-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car is smelly, if I'm at a stop light or drive thru the smell does bother me. Cold starts are the worst though. I'm gonna add cats eventually.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

I've got ory and its also untuned, I have never had any fumes or smells in my car.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm running.true duals over axel into single chamber flowmasters it was alittle louder but nothing to much didn't really notice a difference in fume smell my .02 cents
Old 10-29-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I run TSP LT's and TSP TD's dumped. If I'm driving on the highway I don't notice any smells. If I'm sitting for awhile at a stoplight or idling at a car show I can smell some fuel and if long enough will make your clothes stick some. It's not over bearing or anthing like that, the wife will seldom complain about it. I wanted it to be loud is the reason for why I chose this setup. Zero rasp and just sounds plain mean.

The MPG will depend on how you drive it. I'm still getting about 27+ mpg on the highway when just cruising but in the city is a totally different story. I don't think cats affect it much at all from what I've seen on my car compared to when it was stock. Cats just make it smell better so you don't smell the unburned fuel.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
It will be alot louder without the cats and it will have that ory smell. Its not bad. With the flowmaster it will be pretty loud.
Agreed. Personally, I kinda like the smell of it without the cats. I feel bad for people behind me sometimes though...

Depending on your muffler, you may notice a little rasp if you rev it from an idle.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by runtwrestlin
Agreed. Personally, I kinda like the smell of it without the cats. I feel bad for people behind me sometimes though...

Depending on your muffler, you may notice a little rasp if you rev it from an idle.
Same.

Ebay headers and TSP true duals here. Love it. Its also my DD

You can install the ORY and if you don't like it add cats later. But personally the unburnt gas smell isn't bad at all imo. I only smell it when idling.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agreed on the smell without the cats... it makes me smile and laugh at the people who buy a prius =]

on a side note... if you dont like the smell of the burnt gas.. switch to E85.. makes it smell like a real RACECAR

Quick Reply: For the Guys With No Cat F-Body Exhausts