Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silent exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silent exhaust?

Is there a silent exhaust set up that will also give me some power gains and better flow? It's cool and all to be loud but I want to be a bit more stealthy.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChadDub
Is there a silent exhaust set up that will also give me some power gains and better flow? It's cool and all to be loud but I want to be a bit more stealthy.
Magnaflow single in dual out..... I had it and it made power, but just too quiet for me.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey man im lookin for the same thing keep me posted
Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Like how do police chargers have such quiet exhaust but still make 368hp? And today I saw a Ferrari and it was SILENT.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

yea thats gonna be a lower flow rate muffler so loosing some hp. this question sounds similar to the whats the suspension that will make my car drive the hell out of a road coarse AND put me in under 10second 1/4mi. as above i have a magnaflow replacement muffler and its real quiet at low rpm and while crusing. however you know it when at WOT. id say stock muffler off v6 and added resonator before
Old 11-03-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have the Magnaflow single tip catback (great price for all stainless) and even with cam/long tubes/hi flow cats, its still very mellow at idle, and doesnt resonate inside at all. We had an SLP LM1 on the car before this, and there is NO comparison at all. The Magnaflow is SSSOOOO much quieter, and sounds very nice at WOT.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChadDub
Like how do police chargers have such quiet exhaust but still make 368hp? And today I saw a Ferrari and it was SILENT.
They are running cats with mufflers which keeps them quite. A lot of guys here don't run cats and most of the exhaust systems for fbody are all pretty loud compared to a stock system.

You mentioned a Ferrari being quite. They are during cruising but have you ever heard one open up at WOT? They have such a sweet sounding scream it's like music to your ears.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try Thrush Turbo mufflers. Cheap, quiet and reversible.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Look into Hooker Aerochamber, Dynomax Super Turbo, or the factory SLP dual/dual or if you like the sleeper look, SLP 2OTL.
These all flow VERY well while being relatively quiet compared to most...I should know, I've ran all of them except the Dynomax.

In order from quietest to loudest, I would say this;
Dynomax (based on what I've heard/read, barely noticeable on stock car at idle/low rpm)
SLP dual/dual (I ran this on a longtube header no cats car and it sounded WICKED when WOT but very very mild cruising)
SLP 2OTL (Basically straight through, ran on a similar longtube no cats car and was a little louder, loved it)
Hooker (Ran this on a stock car with stock manifolds and cats, still quiet but the loudest of the bunch)

Also, are you running headers or cats?
Old 11-03-2012, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hands down not sure if you can find it the SLP 2OTL. With no cats it sounds deep and sweet. I would recomend any exh you want then in the I pipe put a silencer. I had that in a loud SS with a Corsa exh with LTs no cats. I LOVED the sound but it would get to me if I DD. So I put in the silencer in the I pipe and the sound was pure SEX! I didn't feel a loss of power. Everyone asked what exh I had. I do miss the sound.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

I have the Magnaflow catback as well. It's quiet around town, but when you punch it, it's still got a great sound to it. I highly recommend it for what you want, you won't be disappointed!
Old 11-04-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Magnaflow is even pretty quiet with long tubes and a off road y pipe. Plus you could always add an e cut out.

Quick Reply: Silent exhaust?