Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whistle sound after long tubes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whistle sound after long tubes.

I have a 2001 c5 corvette.

I know the ticking sound is just because of the long tubes and being thinner and all that.

But it makes a whistle sound, only for a sec, when you hit the gas pedal, didn't do it before. you can hear it inside the car, I'm assuming its coming from the engine.

You can also hear the intake from inside the car, sewing machine type, which is normal i think too, whistle is strange? I checked over everything and didn't see anything wrong..
Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check you collectors or Post-collector connections. Whistling sound is typically a collector leak and a pulsing/knocking sound would be a primary leak.

And make sure your AIR and/or EGR stuff is connected properly too.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Launching!

I fixed the leaks at the collector, car sounds pretty quiet at idle...no more exhaust leaks.

Whistle is still here.. If i hit the gas it'll make just a whistle from the get go and stops, if I drop it down to 2nd ( a4 ) it'll make a solid whistle at like 2500 rpm's.

I went over the air stuff... guess I'll have too again, it all looked ok, it almost sounds like it's inside the car, pretty weird, but then again I can hear my sewing machine intake noise from inside with windows up.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Was your system welded or clamped? Maybe put a band clamp on the suspected joint.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Launching!

I have another thread in this section as well.

I replaced the magnaflow style single bolt style band clamp on the drivers side with a flat band clamp, 2 bolt style, that conforms to the pipe, and that fixed that side, which had the big leak, other side doesnt leak, but I couldn't get the new clamp on, the 02 bung is 1 inch to the seam of the pipes, so the clamp wouldn't seal, wouldn't go anymore over on the cat side either it was hitting the welds.

Any ideas? I wonder if this clamp is toast now, has an indention all around it 1" from the edge, very nice clamps tho ( Jegs, easy seal 3" )
Old 11-03-2012, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

I get that awesome whistle sound but its from my 408. When I hit the gas at any speed it whistles to me but I have very little restriction from TB forward. Its all 4" with LS7 MAF and 102. Yes its from the intake NOT exh. Even my tunner liked the sound. There are no baffles in my ram air hood either.

Just keep in mind eng is an air pump so, if you're pumping out more it needs more. If your TB forward is modded it could whistle. Just check everything.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Launching!

I was reading up quite a bit and on 2001 vettes there's a known intake whistle, me being an a4 I only hear the whistle for a sec before it shifts, but like stated above if i put it in 2nd and it's above 2000 rpms I can hear it solidly, not a huge deal I'll live with it.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mischief
I have another thread in this section as well.

I replaced the magnaflow style single bolt style band clamp on the drivers side with a flat band clamp, 2 bolt style, that conforms to the pipe, and that fixed that side, which had the big leak, other side doesnt leak, but I couldn't get the new clamp on, the 02 bung is 1 inch to the seam of the pipes, so the clamp wouldn't seal, wouldn't go anymore over on the cat side either it was hitting the welds.

Any ideas? I wonder if this clamp is toast now, has an indention all around it 1" from the edge, very nice clamps tho ( Jegs, easy seal 3" )
Those sheet metal clamps are typically a one time use clamp, meant to conform to a pipe, but depending where the deformity is, you may get two uses out of it, but I've never had good luck with that. And I tighten mine to where the halves where the bolts go through are pretty much touching.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Yea for sure, I had great luck with the one I was able to use, absolutely no leak from it, perfect seal.

I'll have to figure out how to use one for the other side, o2 bung is an inch from the joint of pipes, and won't seal, someone mentioned cutting a slot the width of the bung so it slides over, but this material is super thin so I doubt if it works.

Quick Reply: Whistle sound after long tubes.