Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true duals vs catback

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default true duals vs catback

Whats the advantages if any does true duals have over a cat back exhaust?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well on my car i didnt lose any HP but i did TQ which sucked lol that was going from TD to catback
Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didnt have my car dyno'd with the cat back, when I went to duals it felt like it picked up some but it could just be me. I had the shitty pacesetter y pipe though the merge is awful so I dont doubt that I gained some. Otherwise duals sound much better imo.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True duals will typically net you some more power, and in a lot peoples opinion a better sound. Some drawbacks would be some loss in ground clearance, and increased interior noise.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Without question the TDs sound 1000times better, but like i stated before i only lost TQ, this was proven on the dyno, i dyoned before and after, went back to a catback bc of the loss in ground clearance, and increased interior noise like TSP said but mine where dumped before the rearend, next TD setup will be out the back

Last edited by Blackbird-WS6; 11-02-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok cool I have true duals but when I did heads LTs and intake I did true duals at the same time so I was unsure of power gain cool thanks guys
Old 11-02-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by k_garretson23
I didnt have my car dyno'd with the cat back, when I went to duals it felt like it picked up some but it could just be me. I had the shitty pacesetter y pipe though the merge is awful so I dont doubt that I gained some. Otherwise duals sound much better imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGMuzB6USoE
Sounds good
Old 11-02-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
Without question the TDs sound 1000times better, but like i stated before i only lost TQ, this was proven on the dyno, i dyoned before and after, went back to a catback bc of the loss in ground clearance, and increased interior noise like TSP said but mine where dumped before the rearend, next TD setup will be out the back
I do like the way true duals sounds better
Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aaron@Texas-Speed
True duals will typically net you some more power, and in a lot peoples opinion a better sound. Some drawbacks would be some loss in ground clearance, and increased interior noise.
Off the shelf tsp true duals will have slight loss in ground clearance; However, OP, They can easily be modified to tuck up very nicely.

I had pacesetter headers and pacesetter y with the stock merge. If you want a good bang for the buck, you can consider a proper y merge, and it wont break the bank. The best y setup is the pat g style 3>4 merge with the 4" cutout then 4>3 reduction with a nice catback.

However, I went with TSP true duals with sweet thunders, and I been a happy camper. Mid range torque and top end was definitely improved, and its perfect for nitrous. Hope this helps.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
However, I went with TSP true duals with sweet thunders, and I been a happy camper. Mirange torque and top end was definitely improved, and its perfect for nitrous. Hope this helps.
Cool beans I plan on running n2o really soon
Old 11-03-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

i went from pacesetter 1 3\4 headers and pacestter y pipe into corsa sport catback to the same headers and i custom made a 3" true dual setup with ebay x pipe and dynomax bullets dumped at axle. made same hp picked up 4lbs tq on dyno. the sound is 1000x better, no rasp and WOT is rediculous
Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chevybayboy
Whats the advantages if any does true duals have over a cat back exhaust?
I have been doing a lot of research and couple of friends have experienced this before, and I would highly recommend true dual exhaust with a X or a H pipe. It has been proven in some ocassions that True Dual exhausts make you put down more RWHP than a Catback exhaust. This following quote is from the Newbie Tech thread started by jaberwaki...Hope this helps!

"While there is A LOT of bullshit that flies around the Internet about "this exhaust sounds better then that one", this post is not for posers who want to whine about rasp. The very best-flowing exhaust there is, is a true dual X-pipe or H-pipe setup, with or without bullet mufflers. The next best thing is a cutout in the I-pipe. No cat-back out-flows a cutout; no Y-pipe setup out-flows true duals. Period." -jaberwaki

Last edited by Blackpanther99; 11-03-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Quote author :)
Old 11-03-2012, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

Funny, I have 3 TAs and NONE have the same exh setup...

00TA has true duals with Mac mid LTs and x pipe all looks like 2.5 exh with 2 borla muflers. Its an auto with no internal mods but has a nice tune. I did have to redo the the hangers with softer rubber, the drone went away. It looks SWEET from the rear and every time I drive it anyone coming up from the rear wants to race, especially Mustangs...Car pulls real nice with stock gears. Very fun to drive with a crisp shift and feels like nice TQ. I do hate I can't lower it.

01 TA WS6 vert, I just installed LTs today with a Borla CB. With the stock headers cats and Borla. It was very quiet but I've yet to drive it as I still need to install the Y. Which is faster? hard to say since this car is t-56 and the 01s came with LS6 intake and 241 heads. So it should be faster. I also have a cut out but not hooked up yet. I don't get tried in this car.

99 Pace Car is a different animal. 408 with 500+ hp and 495 tq. Its 1 7/8 with 3" y to a 4" I pipe with a 4" cutout and at the axle its a borla pipe y with a SLP 2OTL muffler. Can't put into words the sound with the 4" cut out open. With it closed the noise is very nice and radio and talking is fine and hwy is fantastic. The cut out is worth a bit on the dyno. Thing is the cut out makes so much noise the knock sensor pulls some timing but butt dyno says it revs up quicker and pulls harder.

So bottom line, if you want some noise and don't mind not lowering the car then duals are for you. If you want to lower it and be able to tune your exh note then a cat back is for you with a cut out.

I will say I've had a few cars bother me in my pace car with my cut out closed, I laugh and open it with a quick rev and the usually does the trick.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=RyanSws6;16867326]Funny, I have 3 TAs and NONE have the same exh setup...

00TA has true duals with Mac mid LTs and x pipe all looks like 2.5 exh with 2 borla muflers. Its an auto with no internal mods but has a nice tune. I did have to redo the the hangers with softer rubber, the drone went away. It looks SWEET from the rear and every time I drive it anyone coming up from the rear wants to race, especially Mustangs...Car pulls real nice with stock gears. Very fun to drive with a crisp shift and feels like nice TQ. I do hate I can't lower it.

Do you have any sound clips of this I wanted the borla instead of my single chamber flows just to sound diff but I do love the way it sound with x pipe.. I'm running over axel true duals [QUOTE/]
Old 11-04-2012, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
I have been doing a lot of research and couple of friends have experienced this before, and I would highly recommend true dual exhaust with a X or a H pipe. It has been proven in some ocassions that True Dual exhausts make you put down more RWHP than a Catback exhaust. This following quote is from the Newbie Tech thread started by jaberwaki...Hope this helps!

"While there is A LOT of bullshit that flies around the Internet about "this exhaust sounds better then that one", this post is not for posers who want to whine about rasp. The very best-flowing exhaust there is, is a true dual X-pipe or H-pipe setup, with or without bullet mufflers. The next best thing is a cutout in the I-pipe. No cat-back out-flows a cutout; no Y-pipe setup out-flows true duals. Period." -jaberwaki
Thanks the more info I can get the bettet
Old 11-04-2012, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry no sound clips, my Dad likes to drive it. He's a Ford guy, hence why I have a Fox now, he drove my TA once and fell in love. So let him drive it. He loves to talk about it. I just finished my 01 ws6 LT install and drove it, doesn't feel like the TQ the duals put down.

Like I said, the borla muflers are very tame. When I bought the car a couple yrs ago it had the duals. The sound was bad in the car but with some work the sound is very nice now.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:11 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's a clip of my car with TSP duals with Sweet Thunders. TSP 1 7/8" Headers

http://youtu.be/5DWLWiLrjQU

And here's a clip of when I had my Magnamouth. Same Headers with a TSP ORY

http://youtu.be/Rui8MA5Uv80

I'm aware one clip has the cam and one doesn't, but you can still hear a fairly distinct difference. Same camera for both clips as well.

Hope this helps OP
Old 11-04-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would take TD over any catback anyday of the week!!

I had magnaflow and it was okay. It was too quiet. I then switched to TSP Duals dumped and it blows magnaflow out the water. Seat of the pants, i could feel better throttle response, and it felt as if it pulled harder throughout the RPM. Pure bad *** muscle car sound!!!

Only negative is the clearance. My duals tucked up pretty good and rarely scraped. That was with BMR lowering springs.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
I would take TD over any catback anyday of the week!!

I had magnaflow and it was okay. It was too quiet. I then switched to TSP Duals dumped and it blows magnaflow out the water. Seat of the pants, i could feel better throttle response, and it felt as if it pulled harder throughout the RPM. Pure bad *** muscle car sound!!!

Only negative is the clearance. My duals tucked up pretty good and rarely scraped. That was with BMR lowering springs.

+1 I switched from a y pipe set up to tsp duals and I love them. I did fell better response from the crappy set up that was on there. I have pacesetter lt's.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Kooks TD's and haven't had any problems being lowered 1.25". But it's also not a DD. I went from a kooks y and GMMG cat-back and weighed everything before the install. The Kooks was 5lb's more than my old setup, and that was with an aluminized y-pipe. If it was SS would have probably been the same.

Quick Reply: true duals vs catback