Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSRA intake questions and opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post SSRA intake questions and opinions.

I was thinking about getting the SSRA intake for my camaro, however i only have one concern. The car is a DD and obviously has to be driven in the rain, since the SSRA is so low to the ground will it suck up water and mess up my engine? Or is it fine? i really wanna hear from somebody that put it on their DD camaro.

And if not the SSRA which other intake is good for a high performance DD.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't worry about driving it in the rain, plus you can always easily remove the lower section for the rainy season. I'd really only worry if you hit a flooded section of road with more then a couple inches of water at speed. By itself it's not going to suck water up into the intake, it would have to be rammed up into it.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Smile

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I wouldn't worry about driving it in the rain, plus you can always easily remove the lower section for the rainy season. I'd really only worry if you hit a flooded section of road with more then a couple inches of water at speed. By itself it's not going to suck water up into the intake, it would have to be rammed up into it.
Im not gonna go splashing through puddles, i was just worried it might suck some up ya know? anyway thanks for the info, and removing the lower section is a great idea if i do encounter lots of rain and puddles.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had ssra on my lowered SS for over 5 years and not one problem with the rain or water getting suck up
Old 11-04-2012, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

3 ssras on 3 ls1 here. Got caught in serious rain falls before but all was well. I wouldnt recommend it though. I mean, you would probably be safe but there is a greater chance of hydrolock so your choice. My car is a toy for when when its nice out.
My track gains says its worth it https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...oof-works.html
Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

I haven't had any problems with mine. Not a dd, but I've been caught in a few rain storms at highway speeds. The water would have to travel up a pretty steep angle to make it past the scoop. And I'll have to double check, but I think mine has a drain hole or two on the bottom piece.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

^ yea and the part where the ducts connect theres a hole on front and back where it goes aroung the hood latch. IMO its better that its like this as far as hydrolocking is concerned. A totally sealed duct would suck up water easier.
Another thing to do when you get caught in the rain is take off the airbox block off. That will give another path for air to travel making much less chance for water coming up the duct.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
^ yea and the part where the ducts connect theres a hole on front and back where it goes aroung the hood latch. IMO its better that its like this as far as hydrolocking is concerned. A totally sealed duct would suck up water easier.
Another thing to do when you get caught in the rain is take off the airbox block off. That will give another path for air to travel making much less chance for water coming up the duct.
In addition to that, you could always have a plate or something to block off the ssra under the air filter too. And use the stock air inlet like you said.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02'Andy
In addition to that, you could always have a plate or something to block off the ssra under the air filter too. And use the stock air inlet like you said.
Exactly. Its funny you mention that because under my seat I keep a piece of foam I can stuff in the duct bellow the filter like you just said.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Exactly. Its funny you mention that because under my seat I keep a piece of foam I can stuff in the duct bellow the filter like you just said.
I should probably get in the habit of keeping something like that in the car, but when it comes to my car, with its NT05r's in the rain, I'm usually more worried about hydroplaning instead of hydrolocking
Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One more question. How does the SSRA compare to the FTRA? essentially they are the same, but is one better. I was thinking of getting the FTRA since im already getting the Fast Toys 98mm air lid (better to order more parts from the same supplier) thoughts?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KingPin1094
One more question. How does the SSRA compare to the FTRA? essentially they are the same, but is one better. I was thinking of getting the FTRA since im already getting the Fast Toys 98mm air lid (better to order more parts from the same supplier) thoughts?
Iv had 3 ssras for a reason. The duct goes all the way down in front of the car. IMO they are they best cai kit you can get for our cars.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:32 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

To piggy-back off what Senical said:

I've got a Non-AC Chrs1313 ram air set up I've daily driven for 2 years. I've been caught in some monumental southern Louisiana downpours on 150+ mile trecs. No issues ever.

Point being, mine is COMPLETELY sealed, unlike the SSRA that has the hole around the hood latch, and I've never had a hydrolock issue or a wet air filter for that matter.

I just wouldn't do any WOT with it in those conditions, but if it's pouring rain or you're on a wet road, you should know better to begin with.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Unless you physically dip the scoop into a puddle, I really see this as a non issue. The water would have to go almost 18inches-2 feet up an incline just to reach the filter, soak the filter, and then have enough volume to impact the engine. I doubt you are pulling enough vacuum to pull the water up, and droplets are big enough to be falling as rain and are to heavy to be picked up. Spray off of tires seems like a non-issue. In addition, you tires are behind the scoop, if you run through a puddle the scoop will already be past it beore you creat and splash.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

no problems DD'ing it.. just watch for curbs and inclines.. its plastic and can break. No hydrolock issues and its the best (and chrs1313) cai there is.. definately works. Make sure to switch to a paper filter and change it once a month cuz it gets dirty quick. Sealing the box is simple, i used gorilla tape.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KingPin1094
ftra is a bottom breather design, it works but u might aswell do a FRA instead, same concept. The ssra is a scoop design, draws in more air IMO.

The ssra has more radiator clearance for a tranny cooler, and is lighter since its plastic.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
ftra is a bottom breather design, it works but u might aswell do a FRA instead, same concept. The ssra is a scoop design, draws in more air IMO.

The ssra has more radiator clearance for a tranny cooler, and is lighter since its plastic.
The ftra looked almost identical to the SSRA and it seemed as if they both were the same thing from different manufacturers.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:21 AM
Teching In

OK, I know everybody came down on the opposite side of this discussion but I've had a bad experience with low intakes and won't use them. I've read the other guys stuff about monster rainstorms and no issues but I'm in Utah and the rain drainage sucks so you might want to consider that. When it rains around here we get many standing puddles combined with the deep gutters we have, I have hydrolocked an engine before. Before that, I would get major clogging of the element during snow storms and this was a pain in the *** as well. Just saying that consider well YOUR situation and you should be fine.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by clubber
OK, I know everybody came down on the opposite side of this discussion but I've had a bad experience with low intakes and won't use them. I've read the other guys stuff about monster rainstorms and no issues but I'm in Utah and the rain drainage sucks so you might want to consider that. When it rains around here we get many standing puddles combined with the deep gutters we have, I have hydrolocked an engine before. Before that, I would get major clogging of the element during snow storms and this was a pain in the *** as well. Just saying that consider well YOUR situation and you should be fine.
For you there are many factors why its better not to use the SSRA. Most of us, myself included dont get our cars out if we know its gonna rain & store our cars in the winter so the only negative is the filter needs cleaning more often.

When I go to the track this weekend I am gonna put duct tape over the SSRA duct, make a few passes then remove the tape & make a few more runs & compare the time slips. This is the best way I can think of to see how effective the SSRA really is.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where do i buy an SSRA? besides like ebay?

Quick Reply: SSRA intake questions and opinions.