Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling Sound Coming from Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling Sound Coming from Exhaust

Hey guys,

I have an 01 Camaro SS with Pacesetter Longtubes and a custom 3" to 4" Y exhaust. Obviously the car is extremely loud, but recently it developed an exhaust leak on the manifold gasket. Well, not long after that leak developed I started noticing a slight rattling noise. Within a couple of days the rattling has become extremely loud. I can hear it very well over my exhaust from inside and outside the car. My first thought was that it might be the heat shield covering the CMC line running alongside the driver side header. I tightened that heat shield up yesterday, and the rattling is still there. The sound is definitely coming from the driver side of the motor. When i get under the car and push up on the exhaust right behind the driver-side header to keep it from moving around (I have a hangar broken in the back), the rattling noise stops. Therfore, I know it has to do with the exhaust, but I just don't know where it is coming from. I can't see the headers or exhaust pipes touching anything. Does anyone have any idea where it might be contacting something? I have already looked at the top of the exhaust pipes to see if its contacting the floor anywhere along the car from the headers back. Its not.

Anyone else ever had a problem like this? Any help would be appreciated. BTW, I replaced the manifold gasket this past weekend, and that had no effect on the rattling either.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Teching In

do u have cat converters?if u do maybe the rattle comes from inside the cat.
i had the same problem with my 99 V6.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GRcamaro
do u have cat converters?if u do maybe the rattle comes from inside the cat.
i had the same problem with my 99 V6.
+1 completely blew mine out of my 03 cobra on a dyno pull. Definitely had a death rattle, scared the **** of me as I thought it was the motor starting to come apart. Catalytic bits started to fly out the pipes, went to off-road pipe after that ****.

Quick Reply: Rattling Sound Coming from Exhaust