Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best quality ORY

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best quality ORY

Who makes the best quality/best performing ORY?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

A lot of people will say custom with a Flowmaster merge. And that's the right answer.

For off-the-shelf, American Racing has the best Y-Pipe in terms of merge and quality. Kooks makes the best fitting Y-Pipe in terms of ability to tuck.

I think TSP's is very similar to Kooks and is much cheaper.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hedman is cheaper but still good quality if ur not looking for stainless.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Which ones will fit my slp loudmouth/have a 3 inch outlet?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

^ Almost all aftermarket Y's have a 3" outlet/Intermediate.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
A lot of people will say custom with a Flowmaster merge. And that's the right answer.

For off-the-shelf, American Racing has the best Y-Pipe in terms of merge and quality. Kooks makes the best fitting Y-Pipe in terms of ability to tuck.

I think TSP's is very similar to Kooks and is much cheaper.
I wouldn't get the Kooks y-pipe because it doesn't have a true merge collector. So not only will it give your exhaust an unpleasant rasp, but it will cost you HP.

From what I've read the TSP y-pipes biggest problem is its hard to put together. You can find post where people have taken the time to line everything up right and then it tucks up nicely, but if you just slap it on it will hang low and fit like crap.

So if you've got more money than time I'd go with either ARH headers and y-pipe, but if you have more time than money TSP would be the best way to go.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flowmaster merge... There are stainless options as well but that's going to rack up quick.
I wont run a kooks/tsp/pacesetter etc.. They cause horrible rasp and power.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

My 3" QTP off-road Y is the only y-pipe that comes with a true 4" flowmaster collector already welded on.

What people will tell you is that it does tend to hang a little lower than other y-pipes but I've never had an issue with it on my SS. Plus, I'm putting down 329/345 with just an old Direct-Flo airlid, QTP's, and a hooker catback and tune...not bad for an old '98
Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I think a lot of these are pretty similar on quality but fitment and performance is what your really looking for, IMHO. I have the TSP, fitment as far as bolt up/install goes is easy but their is an issue with hitting the drivers side brace that runs about under the front seat area on mine and I am sure others too. And FWIW with my magnaflow catback I have NO rasp running TSP 1 7/8" headers too..
Old 11-11-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
And FWIW with my magnaflow catback I have NO rasp running TSP 1 7/8" headers too..
That would be because the TSP y-pipe has a true merge collector not just 2 pipes welded together.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Yeah I had to go back and look at the TSP 1-7/8" and their ORY and research. Looks like it fits good and performs as well as Kooks about half the price. Really a no-brainer considering TSP's y-Pipe now looks a lot like the ARH pipe.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Banned

Custom ORY with flowmaster 3 inch (inlet) and 4 inch (exit) or bust
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT even bother with anything else off the shelf. I bought a TSP ORY (the revised one) being lead to believe it was the best option and it fits terribly, and is just as raspy as any other cheapy ORY you can find. IMO the 3 inch exit is too small which creates turbulence and equals raspy-ness.

I spent the $ on the ORY the clamps that were sent with it were garbage and since its adjustable and it fit like **** i had to shell out more $ to get it welded together, luckily my buddy was the one who did it so he did it for cheap, while i got the dump done up. I still have to go out and spend more $ on the flowmaster merge and pay a shop to make it work with the TSP ORY. I literally avoid cruising with the windows down cause the rasp just gets me mad as hell.

At the end of the day you'll spend like $50 on the Flowmaster merge and im sure with $100 they can make the rest of it. And you don't have to deal with the issues i ran into. You will probably end up spending the same amount getting a custom one made anyways. I actually have a thread from how terrible the rasp is, i thought i had an exhaust leak or something. Refer to link below.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-gaskets.html

Yeah I had to go back and look at the TSP 1-7/8" and their ORY and research. Looks like it fits good and performs as well as Kooks about half the price. Really a no-brainer considering TSP's y-Pipe now looks a lot like the ARH pipe.
It fits like ****.

Last edited by adamantium; 11-11-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

He'll didn't know qtp had it with the flowmaster merge. Trying to sell my tsp xpipe for something like that. Then can change the torque arm mount. Mufflex I think also has it with the flowmaster merge
Old 11-11-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

The bbk merge that came with my headers is pretty quality, 2.5 in 3 out
Old 11-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Super Hulk Smash

That sucks adamantium... admit I haven't exhaustively researched, but seems like they had improved upon a solid option (at least with the headers).
Old 11-12-2012, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
He'll didn't know qtp had it with the flowmaster merge. Trying to sell my tsp xpipe for something like that. Then can change the torque arm mount. Mufflex I think also has it with the flowmaster merge
Check out QTP's website------------------>>
You can see a picture of the y-pipe in the F-body exhaust section. I couldn't be happier with the flow capability it has.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TrentSS
Check out QTP's website------------------>>
You can see a picture of the y-pipe in the F-body exhaust section. I couldn't be happier with the flow capability it has.
Already checked it out someone buy my tsp xpipe
Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adamantium
IMO the 3 inch exit is too small which creates turbulence and equals raspy-ness.
The TSP y-pipe actually has a 3.5 inch outlet, then it necks down to 2.75 so people that don't want to do any custom work can just connect it to their catback. I've heard a cam only Camaro with a TSP y-pipe that had the reducer cut off and a 3.5 inch cutout put in, it sounded great. As far as fitting like ****, it's adjustable. If you just throw it on it probably wont fit that great but if you take your time to adjust it, it will tuck up nice and tight to the bottom of you car and fit good.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:10 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Like others have said, you simply can't beat the TSP ORY price, plus it's stainless. It has a great merge from the start.

Here's a good thread a super awesome guy made that did a slight amount of modification on it, along with a MagnaMouth cat-back.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...tall-pics.html
Old 11-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fry_
The TSP y-pipe actually has a 3.5 inch outlet, then it necks down to 2.75 so people that don't want to do any custom work can just connect it to their catback. I've heard a cam only Camaro with a TSP y-pipe that had the reducer cut off and a 3.5 inch cutout put in, it sounded great. As far as fitting like ****, it's adjustable. If you just throw it on it probably wont fit that great but if you take your time to adjust it, it will tuck up nice and tight to the bottom of you car and fit good.
I cut it off at the 3 inch point, yes it is a 3.5" merge if you cut closer up towards the ymerge.
Believe me there was NO adjusting back and forth it was just slide in. It tucks up nice that i will agree, yet to bottom out or **** it up which is great!

But im talking about the actualy fitment of the ORY together as a hole, like previously said the clamps were not the best, the fitment was really bad.
The driver side ORY piping was too long there for making the pass side BARELY slide into place. which with the terrible clamps that the kit brought it kept falling off on the way to the exhaust shop, so i had it welded. Problem solved.
My ORY is actually side ways because of the fact that the pass side is too short.

Do you own one by any chance?
That sucks adamantium... admit I haven't exhaustively researched, but seems like they had improved upon a solid option (at least with the headers).
The headers are badass from what IVE READ, again don't take everything you read on the net like something set in stone. This is just MY personal experience. Ive read several awesome reviews which is what lead me to buy my TSP ory. Nothing against TSP the quality looks nice, yeah its stainless but fitment>* and my personal one fit like ****.

Quick Reply: Best quality ORY