Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to add another bolt on.. mod..

Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Looking to add another bolt on.. mod..

What bolt on should I go with next.. going for a sleeper/dare to be different build for now untill i get my custom cam and tsp as cast heads. Trans will be built soon from RPM (lvl5) with a decent converter. My trans is my highest priority.

I have a few options:
TPIS 90mm intake setup w/ z06 maf and FTP 98 Lid and 90mm nitrous outlet plate
^already have spare ls6 intake, z06 maf

1.85 rockers
I need to buy the rockers, hardened pushrods, and springs

AI ported High compression 806 heads
need head gaskets, studs, bolts

Electric water pump

Underdrive pulley
need bolt and belts ect

Carbon Fiber driveshaft

open to suggestions, trying to prioritize right now
Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

the roller rockers probably won't work with the new cam, most cams are meant for stock ratio rockers

why buy expensive ported heads now then replace them again with TSP heads?

electric water pump is very poor $/hp mod and I still trust a mechanical more than electrical personally

carbon fiber driveshaft is a beyond poor hp/$$$ mod

You could do the pulley but it will have to be done again during the cam install anyway, not sure how difficult it is on a fbody, if it's easy it might be worthwhile. Used in good shape is better hp/$$ than new.

The TPIS ls6 intake has never impressed me for the cost, but if you have an extra intake already it might be worthwhile...I would rather sell both intakes you have and get a Fast 90mm any day of the week though. The MAF will need a tune and net no noticeable power.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
the roller rockers probably won't work with the new cam, most cams are meant for stock ratio rockers

why buy expensive ported heads now then replace them again with TSP heads?

electric water pump is very poor $/hp mod and I still trust a mechanical more than electrical personally

carbon fiber driveshaft is a beyond poor hp/$$$ mod

You could do the pulley but it will have to be done again during the cam install anyway, not sure how difficult it is on a fbody, if it's easy it might be worthwhile. Used in good shape is better hp/$$ than new.

The TPIS ls6 intake has never impressed me for the cost, but if you have an extra intake already it might be worthwhile...I would rather sell both intakes you have and get a Fast 90mm any day of the week though. The MAF will need a tune and net no noticeable power.
Yeah i was considering the pulley, I had one.. then i sold it.. now im regretting that i sold it

I'm using the z06 maf mostly because im not wanting to do a speed density just yet. If i can come across a fast 90/92 I will jump on it, but I've seen dynos where they net the same HP.. and the TPIS gaining more torque.
Sauce here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-ls6-fast.html
The way i was looking at it, i have a spare ls6 intake handy, costs 350$ to get it converted, gain similar results with very good upside. However, if i get a nice fast intake I can hold onto it and get it ported and have even better upside. Ofcourse that costs alot more $$$, no idea what a used fast would cost.. im assuming about 700$ +/-? then to get it ported another 300$, ehh i came to the conclusion the TPIS would be a better intake mod for now.

I was considering a RR/HC ported heads combo, I seen a few heads only w/ RR results pushing the 400 barrier. I'm keeping the stock RR's for when i switch over to a cam.

The driveshaft isnt meant for a HP perspective, but i hear its good for .2's off a 1/4 with a nitrous setup, and easier on the rear, and when u go to the track u dont need a DSL.. i got true duals and its hard to find a nice dsl for my car. Yeah its expensive tho..
Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Best DSL with duals is sold by MWC, by the way. It fits bc it goes UP in the tunnel, and doesn't hang
Old 11-12-2012, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

I got my Fast for ~$500 used which was a good deal but if you poke around you should still be able to find one for a good price. I did some porting to mine similar to the porting the cheaper port jobs would be. It was very easy to do if you have a dremel, some sanding rolls, and patience.

Even if a used Fast is $700 and that's the best deal you can possibly find: 2 ls6 intakes @ $350 each = Fast intake. It should also retain more resell value than the TPIS in case you ever step up to rectangle port heads or something of the sort.

I don't doubt the TPIS might make good power, but the rare results I see where someone tests one seem to be even more hit or miss than the Fast intakes which already seem to vary a lot in HP gains.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I got my Fast for ~$500 used which was a good deal but if you poke around you should still be able to find one for a good price. I did some porting to mine similar to the porting the cheaper port jobs would be. It was very easy to do if you have a dremel, some sanding rolls, and patience.

Even if a used Fast is $700 and that's the best deal you can possibly find: 2 ls6 intakes @ $350 each = Fast intake. It should also retain more resell value than the TPIS in case you ever step up to rectangle port heads or something of the sort.

I don't doubt the TPIS might make good power, but the rare results I see where someone tests one seem to be even more hit or miss than the Fast intakes which already seem to vary a lot in HP gains.
One thing im not doing is buying a FAST 102, but if a fast 90/92 comes available I might just jump on it. I do feel content with a TPIS setup, I dont mind experimenting. But I wont pass up a good deal, i just cant find myself buying a new fast 92 either (even tho they are going for a good price at 850)

what are your thoughts on a 160 degree thermostat?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Best DSL with duals is sold by MWC, by the way. It fits bc it goes UP in the tunnel, and doesn't hang
just read up on that, thx!!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

I'm undecided, I kinda want to put a 160* in mine with hopes of the thing not running at 205* all the time. It ran 196-198* all the time no matter what before I did the head swap, now it runs a little warmer.

I'm just worried a 160* might let it run too cool (big Chevelle radiator). The 180* thermostats seem to be harder to find and more expensive last time I looked.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

did u have a writeup on porting ur fast?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

All I really did was take out the large wedge in the runner and blend it all the way through the rest of the runner and take out casting flash and places where the pieces of the shell didn't match up perfectly.

I have a thread somewhere but the pic links might be broken by now. If you pick one up there a couple good threads on here for the porting and I have my pics somewhere I could send you too. I found some other places I could have worked on too after the fact.

Might not be up to par with a Mamo port job or anything, but it made me feel like I was accomplishing something and I like being hands on...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to add another bolt on.. mod..