Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different exhaust question - Modify Magnaflow cat-back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Different exhaust question - Modify Magnaflow cat-back?

I'm not really liking the magnaflow cannon tips on my car. I saw a 3.5" mufflex system locally for sale, but it has the spintech muffler everyone says flows like crap.

Now I'm debating just ordering a magnaflow 3" bullet muffler and the necessary 3" stainless bends, and making the magnaflow setup a 3" single on the left. This way I'd end up with a stainless exhaust, the tip could be tucked carefully away.

Anyone do this? It should be the same (possibly better) flow as the cat-back magnaflow, but without the huge tips.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just cut the cannons off and clamp on some cheap turn downs? They're only like $12ea at most parts stores...
Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

Because then they'd still be hanging down? Also, there are support brackets welded to the cannon tips.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am actually running the spintech TOTL/2OTL, not sure about flow. I think it sounds pretty damn good though. I am using GMMG/Mad Hammer slash-cut tips FWIW, had them laying in the garage. The slash cut tips that come with the system are a little larger, not by much, I just happen to like the GMMG/Mad Hammer tips better.

Last edited by 03Sssnake; 11-15-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Bishop
Because then they'd still be hanging down? Also, there are support brackets welded to the cannon tips.
Unless your piping is welded to the muffler, you can loosen the clamps and point the tips up slightly (once you cut the tips off) - see pic 2

The two rear hangers are there to support the weight of the tips. Once theyre cut off, just unbolt the frame brackets and sell 'em with the tips (I got $60 for mine). The front passenger side hanger is welded to the over-the-axle pipe and the driver side front hanger has about 2" of pipe after it before the tips - if you cut at the right spot, you keep that hanger and have plenty of room to clamp turn-downs - see pic 1

Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm. I'm going to have to get it up on jackstands tomorrow and look at it better.

Quick Reply: Different exhaust question - Modify Magnaflow cat-back?