Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird alternator problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default weird alternator problems

I'm having some inconsistent alternator issues and I'm looking for some insight. I tried the search but found nothing relating to my issue.

99 Trans Am / A4 / all stock 182k miles.

When I bought the car it fired right up. After I paid for the car we went to start and it was dead! I didn't have jumper cables so I pulled the battery out of my truck and it fired right up, thinking I would just run it on the alternator I pulled the negative cable and it died. We then located a set of jumper cables and put the cars battery back in and when we jumped it the car fired right away and showed 14ish volts on the gauge. Fast forward 5 days I have to jump is occasionally and charge it to get it started, but once it has a small charge it starts 5-6 times before the battery gives out. Here's the weird thing, I pulled the negative cable on it yesterday and it stayed running.

What should I do?!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

How old is the battery? You can have it tested for free at most autozones/advances ect.

With that many miles and its age the altenator could be getting weak, you can also get it tested at the above mentioned locations thats the route I would take.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

How does it run when it's running. Does it struggle and go down into the 8s on the voltmeter? Do you have a voltmeter you can check the output voltage from the alternator with? Also, how does the cable look coming form the alternator to the battery? With age, any previous battery corrosion issues, etc, you can get a bad connection from the alternator to the battery.

Btw, getting to the alternator and taking it out are a giant pain in the ***. I put a Powerbastards 220amp in mine and that's something I never want to do again.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Now that I've been thinking about it all I'm wondering if its a grounding issue somewhere.

I'll check the date on the battery when I get home. I'm going to borrow a multi meter and check voltages.

I'll check the cable from alternator to positive cable on battery.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car was doing this a month ago. the alternator and battery both took a dump at the same time. Had the battery tested it was bad. Then the alternator tested was bad too replaced both no problem since. Btw the alternator is not hard to change did mine in 30 mins.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

To get some closure here for anyone researching similar problems:

The battery tested bad, and in pulling off the negative battery cable I opened a circuit and it made the car die, the battery is required for the car to run.

Alternator tested fine, replaced the battery.

Quick Reply: weird alternator problems