Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 throttle body problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 throttle body problem

i am new here please bare with me! i installed a 2000 ls1 corvette motor into a 67 camaro, i upgraded the intake to a 96mm pro comp and a 90mm pro comp throttle body, i have only only ran the motor a couple times for a short period of time but my problem is when the engine is not running the throttle body opens and closes very easy but with the engine running it becomes harder to open and close and seems to stick open i cant figure it out any help! thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's an adjuster screw on the tb , maybe try turning it to push the blade open a tiny bit cause maybe the engine sucking air is pulling it closed to the point where its catching. It's an allen screw on the passenger side of it I think
Old 12-02-2012, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

Is it staying open when u go full throttle or just sticking anywhere ?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Teching In

its wants to not close at about 1/8 throttle and becomes tight feeling almost like its binding up but as soon as you turn off the engine its fine and acts just like its suppose to. thanks paul
Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by robin93784
its wants to not close at about 1/8 throttle and becomes tight feeling almost like its binding up but as soon as you turn off the engine its fine and acts just like its suppose to. thanks paul
do u have a hole drilled in the throttle body blade yet ?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:34 AM
Teching In

no i dont i will look at the orig one and see what that has that sounds like it could be the problem, also i was thinking i put a brand new idle air valve on any chance it could be bad or what does it really do. thanks
Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 AM
12 Second Club

no i dont i will look at the orig one and see what that has that sounds like it could be the problem, also i was thinking i put a brand new idle air valve on any chance it could be bad or what does it really do. thanks
Funny u say that , I had a customer bring me a brand new iac from AutoZone the other week and it was brand new and it was no good. His truck kept stalling though with it on. Try the original if u still have it , definitely would not hurt. Hole in the throttle blade is a must . Try to do the same size to start. I think its around 1/8th or just a hair below that
Old 12-05-2012, 06:10 AM
Teching In

thank you for the help, i am new to the ls1 conversion there was a tube by the throttle cable i thought was for a pollution device so i plugged it i am guessing the idle air breaths there that made a big difference once i removed the plug i still might have to drill a hole in the butterfly since there is not one but at least i can work with it better once i can get the coolant air out that has been a task cant get the thermostat to open yet
Old 12-06-2012, 05:13 AM
12 Second Club

thank you for the help, i am new to the ls1 conversion there was a tube by the throttle cable i thought was for a pollution device so i plugged it i am guessing the idle air breaths there that made a big difference once i removed the plug i still might have to drill a hole in the butterfly since there is not one but at least i can work with it better once i can get the coolant air out that has been a task cant get the thermostat to open yet
Is that the tube coming out of the top of the throttle body ? If so that has to be run to the very first tube on the passenger valve cover, so yes that's a necessity for sure
Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 AM
Teching In

yes its a aftermarket throttle body and the valver covers have been upgraded with no tubes i went with the ls6 pvc valley cover to breath the motor what else can i do that will look good this is on a show car. thanks
Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

yes its a aftermarket throttle body and the valver covers have been upgraded with no tubes i went with the ls6 pvc valley cover to breath the motor what else can i do that will look good this is on a show car. thanks
I like these ones personally because they are gm. But there's others on their site as well , but as you can see from the picture it has the breather on the passenger valve cover that's the proper way to run it.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=4791
Old 12-06-2012, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

One other thing , I don't know your setup but are your valve covers taller than stock ? And if they are then are they that way for a reason like upgraded valvetrain for high lift cam or anything like that ? If so you will need valve covers that are taller with the tube . They make them if you look on that site

Quick Reply: ls1 throttle body problem