Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vertical Radiator W/ Stock Condensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vertical Radiator W/ Stock Condensor

Hey guys i'm in the process of build a front mount turbo for my 2000SS. Anyway the kit i have will allow me to retain my AC compressor, so might as well keep it.

I will be going to a vertical radiator set up for clearance reasons. I also plan on retaining the stock condenser. The plan is to pull the stock condenser as far forward as i can and cutting the bottom radiator support to make it even with the factory height(Or as close i as i can get.) Basically looking at the car head on, the radiator will be in front of the condenser. Then i'll have two pusher fans in front of the radiator. Question is will this be effective at cooling the refrigerant in the AC system?

The step up i just described would be totally opposite of the factory set up. I was just curious if anyone else has tried a set up like this to retain the factory AC.

thanks guys
Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say the AC will never work. Most auto AC systems have to work very hard to cool when the ambient temp gets over 100 degrees, you are looking at putting 220 degree air in front of the condenser. The least that will happen is it will not cool, worse case it will overpressure and open the relief valve, or blow the hoses off. I do not know everything about AC but in my humble opinion this is a bad idea.

jimmy
Old 12-10-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine works just fine. I had to do some aluminum work for shrouds as well as extend the AC lines, but with two 10 inch pushers and a single 14 inch offset puller i was able to fit a mid frame turbo.

Just plan everything out well and itll work out.

Quick Reply: Vertical Radiator W/ Stock Condensor