Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake tract

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Intake tract

I wondering about the LS1's traditional intake tract and the dimensions of it to see what all will fit together. For example, I have a basic SLP lid with a stock MAF (which needs replaced or at least cleaned soon), the factory accordion bellow to a stock tb and stock ls1 intake. Eventually I plan on either doing a p&p tb w/ ls6 intake or a FAST 92/90 type setup. Does the accordion bellow stretch enough for that? I assume it would but can't hurt to ask. Obviously at that point the MAF would be holding me back if I went with a 90mm TB, so I could get an 85mm MAF from GM...but that wouldn't fit the SLP lid would it? My stock MAF barely fits in the lid and it was a PITA to get to fit the first time lol. I'd like to not have to buy another lid if I can avoid it.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure about the stock bellow stretching, but I will address your assumption the stock MAF will "hold you back" as a false statement.

You will need a healthy heads/cam setup before that statement will hold true. On a bolt on car, the Fast will gain you power through increased plenum volume and better runner design...the tb size is almost irrelevant.

The 85mm MAF is worthwhile if you get it cheap and get it before a tune you were going to do anyway since it will give you room to grow, but it is not necessary or even really beneficial at your power level.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do plan on at least adding a cam, cam only I'd be shooting for 390rwhp, although I'd expect closter to 380rwhp on something like a 228R or maybe a VRx4. If I did a head/cam package the heads would probably be PRC Stage 2.5 LS6 heads from TSP, somewhere between 400-430rwhp...I may add nitrous one day too, a 100 shot, but that is a big maybe.

So really if the SLP lid with stock MAF is alright then the FAST 92/90 combo I'd just have to figure out if the factory bellow will work.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I tried stretching a SLP bellow onto my 102mm NW TB and I almost got it but not quite. I was using a heatgun and alot of cursing. If the 92mm TB is the same O.D. of 4"ish inches the 102 is then a fernco coupler from home depot will work. Thats what I'm running with a SLP maf sensor.

Quick Reply: Intake tract