Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed ticking !!! Take a guess??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Fixed ticking !!! Take a guess??

Well I finally fixed the ticking I had after installing Hooker LT's....This ticking was bugging the crap out of me.. ...So after so much looking and wondering and searching posts about ticking.....I finally was about to give up ...so I went on and jacked up the car to fix banging issues with the Ypipe and while under there I glanced at the wires again and one of them looked odd.....The boot wasn't all the way in..so I tried to push it in and but it wouldn't go any further to a snug click fit....So i was like WTF!!!...I removed the taylor wire and replaced it with a stock wire to see if the wire was the problem...I replaced it and the ticking was still there only not as loud!! ..so I thought ..ok...we are on to something...So while replacing the stock one with another taylor wire (different location)...While feeling for the spark plug tip...I felt the tip of the plug kind of loose!! ..I had no idea those tiny tips could screw off.....So I tried to tighten it and the whole plug felt loose.. ...I was like WTF......So I removed it and rescrewed the tip back on and replaced the plug only this time tightening it down for sure!! ..after that the wire went all the way in and snapped on with the click....started the car up and no ticking whatsoever!!!!!!!!

so it was a loose spark plug witha loose tip...

I ws so relieved especially after reading so many posts with so many possibilities ,rockers,lifters..ugh.....

It would be wise to recheck and double check everything you do especially when you do headers... ..cause you can easily forget the most simplest things.......
Old 04-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

i'm having that issue now
Old 04-14-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

The same exact thing happened to me.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

yep, that happened to me also. it turned out to be the last plug back on the passenger side (b!tch to get to), but it fixed my ticking
Old 04-14-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Ditto, I was pretty happy when I found out it was something that simple. Mine was the #8 plug.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What the hell!
First piston slap, then the sqeaky tensioner pulley, now I have to worry about sparkplugs falling out of the engine.

EDIT: Thanks for the post though, you may have solved my problem.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

Wasn't throwing an SES light with the spark plug loose? I have the same ticking, guess I need to check the plugs out. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

During my H/C install I found 3 plugs that were very loose, and about 5 of the tips had to be tightened also.

So it would be a good idea to check your plugs once every month or so. It doesn't take too long.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine was the #1 plug gapped at only .023, and I got a loud tick and an occasional code, re gapped plug and all was well.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chad01Z28
Wasn't throwing an SES light with the spark plug loose? I have the same ticking, guess I need to check the plugs out. Thanks for the info.
No codes...at all which made me reluctant to checking the plugs but as you can see..it happens...I was thinking the same thing ..I thought but if it were a loose plug or wire why isn't it throwing any misfire codes or any codes at all......But I guess it doesn't have to throw any codes...probably was geting enough spark to where the PCM didn't think it was abnormal... ..Oh well ..BTW: the plug I was having trouble was the the one before number 8....Which wasn't that of a problem to get to....I just removed the check valve on the pass side of course and retightened it...
Old 04-14-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im having the same problem now, slight ticking sound all of the sudden started, its really pissing me off. so ill look into this tomomrw
Old 04-14-2004, 08:56 PM
CNB
11 Second Club

I had the same problem. The ticking was driving me crazy. A GM tech told me this is normal. Right. I listened as close as I could without burning my ear off and it sounded like it was comming from the manifold. I decided to check the plugs and one was so loose I could twist it with my fingers! Tightened it back and the car sounded perfect.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Mine spit out a plug a few years ago. It was a factory installed plug as well. Going down the road one night and had a strange underhood noise then SES light. Pulled over to see what it was and the number 5 plug was gone. 3 others were loose. That night sucked. I check them from time to time now.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

I tracked mine with a hose. The ticking was coming right from # injector. Damn noisy *** motor. My service man said they tick even worse on the trucks.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Teching In

man i know how u feel been threw the same stuff,nasty ticks,my num 1 plug was loose bout to fall out,mine sounded like an old log truck.or pea thrasher,it will make u go crazy.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i havent touched the motor let but my car sounds more like a sowing machine every day. ill have to investigate this. thanks for the heads up.