Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals in progress need some tips/help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals in progress need some tips/help

I purchased a set of moroso spiral flow mufflers, i have a set of 4x9 magnaflows and a set of bullet mufflers, all 2.5 inches and i will be doing a true dual set up dumped before the axle along with a little experimentation with side exits.

Question I have...my y pipe bumps a little bit under heavy load...when doing the true duals...will this help firm it up so i can tuck it up a little closer?

Where do i mount the hangers for the mufflers? if i dont use rubber grommets will it rattle the **** out of my car?

i've checked ls1sounds.com and looked at as many pics as i can.. im worried that if i move the mufflers back just slightly i will run nto clearance issues with the floor board and the ground. I wanna move it back so i can try some side exits.

which of the 3 mufflers will give me the best overall tonei know the sound clips dont do them justice so im looking for personal opinions
thanx
Travis
Old 04-14-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes.
Most people use through bolts with rubber isolated hangers where the floor pan turns up at the rear seats. You can see the hangers in most of the true dual pictures that are floating around.
Yes...it will vibrate like a sumb*tch. Mine vibrates a lot with the rubber hangers. Gonna run mine over the axle eventually.
Last question is subjective...you'll have to decide that one for yourself.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

bullets wil give me a deeper more bass like exhaust note right?
Old 04-14-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone have a pic of their true dual set up dumped before the axles from the sides...infront of the rear wheels level with the ground? i've taken measurements and such but i gotta see what kind of piping bends ill have to be dealing with. id appreciate it
thanks
Travis
Old 04-14-2004, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

I had spiral flows on my SS, which sounded bad *** might I add. I ran the rubber hangers and used longer rear seat belt bolts and hung the exhaust that way. The exhaust didn't move that much either. Any exhaust needs some sort of cushion or suspension to prevent the welds and pipes from cracking, or if you have stock manifolds, will cause them to crack also. Good luck

Robbie
Old 04-14-2004, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much do the spiral flows muffle? sry about hijacking the thread, i'm thinking about them in a true dual setup but don't want the car to be that loud
Old 04-14-2004, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

$46.99 at Jegs
Old 04-14-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hardtop00ss i see you live in va. I live in leesburg va, how loud were just the spiral flows? I have been considering adding either cats or a set of bullets before the x to keep em a little quieter for more daily use.
thnx
Travis
Old 04-14-2004, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

I loved the sound of it, but it was dumped, so the fumes and interior noise got to me. I was told by other people, that my duals with X pipe, no cats, sprial flows, were quieter then my QTP Y pipe with carsound cats, dynomouth, and both setups were with QTP LT's. IMO, I would go with sprial flows, they sound killer, especially with a nice lopey bump stick.

Robbie
Old 04-14-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

lopey bump stick hahaha nice. my only worry is i've heard duals with dumps using bullets and it doesnt sound very good. THere isn't enough tone to it, its just well...loud. do the spiral flows have more of a tuned, tone exhaust sound than the bullets do? thats what im shooting for.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

You MUST use hangers with rubber. It allows the whole exhaust system to move a little when the torques. My spiral flows only have about 1/2" of clearence under the back seats and this is enough to prevent any banging. The hangers are welded to the seatbelt mounts. The exhaust shop that installs it will probably have hangers that they will use and include in the price, thats what my shop did.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

im borrowing a buddies shop and all his tools, and he is helping me do this so my dual exhaust will cost me a total of 65 bucks (spiral flows at whole sale price!) ...plus ill be selling some exhaust stuff after the install so it looks like i might make money goign to true duals.

i guess ill see how it comes out i should haev enough time to finish it by the weekend, but i might have to wait till next week. hopefully i can get the side exits to work, but if not, looks like ill just copy your set up ferocity02. i like the idea of the bullets upfront! awesome video on ls1sounds.com too thanx for that
T
Old 04-14-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

You won't be unhappy. Get ready to do some sound deadening inside the car for the ashtray and center consol. That thing vibrate like a mother. And there is a little rasp from 1500-2000 rpm, but with your LT's it shouldn't have any rasp and should sound WICKED!!! Good luck.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

thnx ferocity and thanx for the tip on the sound deadening i got some stuff i think will do the trick at the shop, crossing my fingers this turns out well lol
T