Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy needing suggestions for the future

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy needing suggestions for the future

I've already posted this in the Gen 3 internal forum but I'm not getting many responses.

I currently have an 02 SS. The car has a forged 383 bottom end (~9.5:1), cammed, Vortech G-trim with meth injection, 1 3/4 LTs. It recently laid down 506/454 at 6 psi and a safe tune. That's through a stalled 4l60 and 10 bolt with 3.73 gears. The car runs well and I'm happy with it. But I'm looking to the future.

I'm being told I'm nearing the limits of the G-trim. Vortech rates it at 600 crank shaft horsepower and I'm sure I'm at or a little over that. I'm torn on what I want to do next. My top end is completely stock. 241s, Ls6 intake, stock TB. I would like to upgrade but need to know what would be best. I have a couple of ideas.

My first idea is just get some ported 243s, port match the ls6 intake and TB and see what it makes. Maybe try to turn of the boost a little but I was told not to unless I intercooled it. I don't want to put much money into this Vortech as its an older, unsupported design. That's my problem with this idea.

Second, pull the G-trim, put on a D1 or YSI and crank it up. Only thing is the stock topend would be leaving a lot on the table and I couldn't afford to change the blower and change the topend at the same time.

Finally, and my favorite idea (if its possible) is to pull the G-trim and meth off the car and sell it. Build a topend kit and go NA. Good heads (AFR or TFS), bigger cam, Fast intake and TB. My goal would be to match the performance I already have with no boost. Then I could add a 150 shot later since 600rwhp is where I eventually want to be.

So, what would be the best bet? I really like the third idea but can I make 500rwhp NA? The second is the best on paper and has the most potential but would also take the longest and cost the most. The first one is almost a no brainer but not if the G-trim won't support it. So I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

id go d1sc with front mount intercooler and run about 12#ish and leave the heads and intake alone. you should be well over 600 then.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

How much do you think ported 243s/ls6/TB would be worth over stock 241s/ls6/TB now? If I spend the money to go D1, I'd want more than 600whp. I'm just not ready to drop that much money. Anyway, you vote for the second option. I figured most guys would.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

id leave the stock heads, sell the vortec and pick up a used d1sc. with that set up on your motor i could see 650+ easy.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a d1sc
Old 12-27-2012, 02:02 AM
TECH Regular

normally I'd say get a D1sc, but i really feel like a 383 with stock heads and intake is restricted, probably going to hold you back even more when you do have a d1sc (later)

So basically...which do you want to buy first haha.

Quick Reply: New guy needing suggestions for the future