Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lid setup vs custom cold air

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lid setup vs custom cold air

hey guys im trying to find the post of a guy on here that was making custom cold air intakes for our cars but i cannot find it anywhere. it may have been deleted since he wasnt a sponsor im not sure. anyways i just wanted to know if it was ever confirmed to pick up more speed in the 1\4 over a lid setup? i am going to either build one like his or keep my lid and make a chris1313 style ram air. this is a pic of the kit he was selling.also i will be adding a nozzle kit 150 shot into it. right now i am running sd tune still with stock accordian intake tube and maf not hooked up into my lid. i want to change all that as well.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

extra bonus of this intake is how sexy it looks haha and its pretty cheap to build as i will be selling my lid setup if its worth it.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Imo I would just do a 104mm lid and a CHRS1313 set up. It does look great but I wouldn't want to have to cut the upper part of the radiator support for the pipe to clear. I wouldn't think it would perform any better than a CHRS1313 and if the filter sits low enough to be effective it can't be as safe in the rain.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
Imo I would just do a 104mm lid and a CHRS1313 set up. It does look great but I wouldn't want to have to cut the upper part of the radiator support for the pipe to clear. I wouldn't think it would perform any better than a CHRS1313 and if the filter sits low enough to be effective it can't be as safe in the rain.
you know im leaning that way kind of but i have no need for a 104mm lid right now i have stock tb\intake. i will make my own chris1313 version for around $75 max. and i dont drive the car in rain whatsoever. i will have to rig up somekind of piping\coupler to run from my stock tb to my lid to bypass maf as i dont use it since i have a sd tune and i really want to ditch that and accordian type intake since it looks like crap. with the chris1313 are you supposed to seal the hood to the lid also?
Old 12-27-2012, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mikh338
you know im leaning that way kind of but i have no need for a 104mm lid right now i have stock tb\intake. i will make my own chris1313 version for around $75 max. and i dont drive the car in rain whatsoever. i will have to rig up somekind of piping\coupler to run from my stock tb to my lid to bypass maf as i dont use it since i have a sd tune and i really want to ditch that and accordian type intake since it looks like crap. with the chris1313 are you supposed to seal the hood to the lid also?
Everything I have read says to do one or the other; from the hood, or the bottom. Doing both supposedly causes turbulence, and they can "cancel out" each other.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If i wasn't so lazy i would've been done this already, this setup with a velocity stack has to be a good deal more than a traiditonal lid and ram air setup, probably lighter aswell.

Edit: And ALOT cheaper.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z-camaro
Everything I have read says to do one or the other; from the hood, or the bottom. Doing both supposedly causes turbulence, and they can "cancel out" each other.
yes now i remember reading what you just said. if you do both it causes a turbulance affect and you need to do one or the other so thank you for reminding me haha
Old 12-27-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by adamantium
If i wasn't so lazy i would've been done this already, this setup with a velocity stack has to be a good deal more than a traiditonal lid and ram air setup, probably lighter aswell.

Edit: And ALOT cheaper.
so your saying the true cold air is better then lid and ram air? honestly i just really love the way that 4 inch piping looks with that aluminum\sheet metal radiator shroud. both setups are basically doing the exact same thing and drawing air from the same exact spot. i never drive the car in the rain or take it out if it even looks like it would rain, i put 3k miles on the car the entire past season and 800 was driving it home from kentucky. but i wonder how you would get the sheet metal bent nicely like that over the radiator? a siding brake maybe? it would have to be really thin to do that with a siding brake tho
Old 12-27-2012, 05:19 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If you ever saw how the chrs1313 literally "scooped" air you'd be impressed. That's the whole reason it works better the faster you go. If I was home I'd post some pics, but with the lower scoop on, the air has no choice. It HAS to go in the filter / lid.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Banned

so your saying the true cold air is better then lid and ram air? honestly i just really love the way that 4 inch piping looks with that aluminum\sheet metal radiator shroud. both setups are basically doing the exact same thing and drawing air from the same exact spot. i never drive the car in the rain or take it out if it even looks like it would rain, i put 3k miles on the car the entire past season and 800 was driving it home from kentucky. but i wonder how you would get the sheet metal bent nicely like that over the radiator? a siding brake maybe? it would have to be really thin to do that with a siding brake tho
From what I'VE personally seen on other cars (mostly imports, since im around them alot) there is a huge gain going from a tradition intake (off the shelf) to going to a "custom" 3" piping with a velocity stack at the end ive seen 5-10whp just by switching intake setup and retuning on 1.8l-2.4l Engines. Why wouldn't a big ol push rod v8 benefit from it? Same concept different approach. Ive also seen more power picked up from tapering the intake down from (for example) a 4" to a 3.5" and then 3" at the throttle body on an H22. This technically creates velocity. I forgot which cam only guy uses one but he personally says it makes a good difference.

You can build that intake (locally around me) for less than $100 with velocity stack included. Go see how much the cris1313 ram air is. I know 90% of the LSx owners on here do **** for the sound/look of things but honestly id do it for functionality/simplicity/price and power over the lid setup/ram air setup.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only BAD i can say about those ram air setups are that they can bend or crack when you hit a curb or inclined ramp at the right angle... my ssra works wonders, however ive had to repair it numerous times

the custom cold air would work similiar to how the vettes draw in their 'cold air' and just looks so much better. Personally, I wouldnt swap over to the custom cold air setup because it costs so much to fabricate with really minimal benefit (if any) over a proven lid/ram air setup.

The way i see it, its better than the stock lid but will be equal to or less than adequate than a proper ram air setup. It would be worth it for a hi ram air intake IMO
Old 12-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
I wouldnt swap over to the custom cold air setup because it costs so much to fabricate
I disagree. A veloctiy stack goes for about $30-$50 and $50 in pre bent piping is more than enough. Have it welded together or buy some rubber clamps on ebay for like $15 each or whatever they are? Probably as much as a conventional SLP lid setup but just a bit more of a hassle to install.

Crs1313 setup goes for $150-$170 i think and then a lid is another $100 or so?

OP that's DopeFedZ's setup, try PMing him?

Old 12-28-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I gave it a try because my buddy also said it should pick up some power. Might not show on a dyno but at speed it should help. Plus I think it looks cool.

You will definitely need to notch the radiator support. I had to trim the top of the radiator. I had to cut the latch brace as well.

I ordered a couple bends, the velocity stack, two couplers, tbolt clamps and MBA radiator shroud. The shroud I tried not having to split it into two pieces but the 4" tubing was just too damn big to work without doing it that way. The small carbon fiber piece I added at the front of the MBA shroud was because the shroud didn't extend past the notch I made.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

westtexasbuff is who offered the one in the first post.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My car has a 4" tubing setup with a cone filter and the filter has a velocity stack built into it on the inside.

I would trade for a ram air/lid setup in a heartbeat. A good ram air seems to work much better.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
westtexasbuff is who offered the one in the first post.
yes thats him, now that you said the name i remember now. and i really like that setup you have except for the split in half rad support. the one he made didnt have the split and just looks a little cleaner. only other difference is he used a gto 4" filter instead of the intake scoop you have. but the 4" piping is very cheap, same with couplers. the only part i would fab myself is the shroud. i csn get something to work thats very inexpensive just need to figure out how to bend it. i could sell my lid i have now to pay for the entire project. and also you can build a chris1313 setup for around $70.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
My car has a 4" tubing setup with a cone filter and the filter has a velocity stack built into it on the inside.

I would trade for a ram air/lid setup in a heartbeat. A good ram air seems to work much better.
how is your intake routed and where does the filter sit?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes thats him, now that you said the name i remember now. and i really like that setup you have except for the split in half rad support. the one he made didnt have the split and just looks a little cleaner. only other difference is he used a gto 4" filter instead of the intake scoop you have. but the 4" piping is very cheap, same with couplers. the only part i would fab myself is the shroud. i csn get something to work thats very inexpensive just need to figure out how to bend it. i could sell my lid i have now to pay for the entire project. and also you can build a chris1313 setup for around $70.
Yeah if this mba shroud would have reached all the way to the front like his i wouldnt have needed to split it but this one only cost me $30 and his was like $150.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Yeah if this mba shroud would have reached all the way to the front like his i wouldnt have needed to split it but this one only cost me $30 and his was like $150.
where did you buy the shroud? i could deal with that split for $30 lol
Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Email this guy Robert r-kowalski@sbcglobal.net. Ask him to send you his list of available MBA inventory.

Quick Reply: lid setup vs custom cold air