Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping Exhaust... Cause?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Popping Exhaust... Cause?

A week or so ago I pulled my rockers and such to check my pushrods. Pushrods checked out fine so I put everything back together.

Car has been ran for about 800 miles since, from a trip to Panama city and such... but yesterday and today I seem to have a problem. My car would always pop when I would decel, from backpressure building in my custom exhaust system.. but now its a much worse problem. If I rev loud, it'll pop a few times as the RPMS come down.. its a very quick pop.. not like backpressure building. If I bring hte RPMS down from anything over 4 grand it'll pop... sometimes once and sometimes 2 or three times in sucession.. its pretty loud and quick.

Could a loose rocker.. or something I didn't put back on the car cause this?

The car is also quieter then before... yet still very loud. I switched back to the stock MAF.. could this cause the fuel mixture to be off and its just slowly fixing itself?
Old 04-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Banned

Anyone?
Old 04-15-2004, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

prob just running rich for one reason or another. Check and make sure you have no obvious leaks around the maf or lid. If still no go get some atap or a tech II on it and see what your ltrims are at.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

What does your "custom exhaust system" consist of?
Old 04-15-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ThackerSS
A week or so ago I pulled my rockers and such to check my pushrods. Pushrods checked out fine so I put everything back together.

Car has been ran for about 800 miles since, from a trip to Panama city and such... but yesterday and today I seem to have a problem. My car would always pop when I would decel, from backpressure building in my custom exhaust system.. but now its a much worse problem. If I rev loud, it'll pop a few times as the RPMS come down.. its a very quick pop.. not like backpressure building. If I bring hte RPMS down from anything over 4 grand it'll pop... sometimes once and sometimes 2 or three times in sucession.. its pretty loud and quick.

Could a loose rocker.. or something I didn't put back on the car cause this?

The car is also quieter then before... yet still very loud. I switched back to the stock MAF.. could this cause the fuel mixture to be off and its just slowly fixing itself?
My car pops too, like if i'm just messin around in 1st gear running it like 3500-4000rpms it always consistently pops at 2000rpm. It never fails, does it every time. I'm also running a custom exhaust (catback) which consists of no muffler . Loud as hell, but has a great tone and sounds bad ***. I'd say the popin is normal, just back pressure building up. By the way, when did you go to panama city beach, i was jsut down there last week for spring break. It was tight as hell
Old 04-15-2004, 08:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by git_sum
My car pops too, like if i'm just messin around in 1st gear running it like 3500-4000rpms it always consistently pops at 2000rpm. It never fails, does it every time. I'm also running a custom exhaust (catback) which consists of no muffler . Loud as hell, but has a great tone and sounds bad ***. I'd say the popin is normal, just back pressure building up. By the way, when did you go to panama city beach, i was jsut down there last week for spring break. It was tight as hell

I was there Thurs-Saturday of last week. Red SS with the Flames.

My custom exhaust is LT headers !CATS and 2.5" true duals.

I've always had the backpressure pop.. but this a few quick pops when backing off the gas... and it has just started.... *shrug* car still feels pretty strong I guess.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was there Thurs-Saturday of last week. Red SS with the Flames.

My custom exhaust is LT headers !CATS and 2.5" true duals.

I've always had the backpressure pop.. but this a few quick pops when backing off the gas... and it has just started.... *shrug* car still feels pretty strong I guess.
No ****, i remember your car. Looks badass, i had the Dark Blue Trans-am, non-Ws6 that had the "Get'ya Some" in a metallic silver color across the sunstrip. Your car had the flames in silver right?

Last edited by git_sum; 04-15-2004 at 09:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-15-2004, 09:28 PM
Banned

No ****, i remember your car. Looks badass, i had the Dark Blue Trans-am, non-Ws6 that had the "Get'ya Some" in a metallic silver color across the sunstrip. Your car had the flames in silver right?

Yea it did, I've since removed the ones on the side, but kept the actual stripes.

Don't remember your car... but there was so many cars it was hard to keep up.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea it did, I've since removed the ones on the side, but kept the actual stripes.

Don't remember your car... but there was so many cars it was hard to keep up.
Yeah there were definitly a lot of people down there. Where are you from anyways?
Old 04-15-2004, 10:06 PM
Banned

Yeah there were definitly a lot of people down there. Where are you from anyways?

Atlanta GA.. just below Atlanta rather.

It was only about a 4 1/2 hour drive cruising 85mph the whole way.