Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PP 96mm intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PP 96mm intake questions

I was just wonderring. I am polishing up the runners on my intake and while I have it apart I noticed that there are a couple areas I was wonderring if I should fill in or not. In the TB opening right behind were the PCV tube goes there is a square that goes in about a inch and goes no were. Can that be filled in or is it there for a reason? I can see air getting trapped in there on the way in.

There are also 4 metal circles in the side of the 4 corner runners that I was going to fill in as well. Are these there for a reason?

I will probably have more questions but thats it for now. The Intake has come out very nice. Cant wait to install and get on the Dyno..
Old 01-03-2013, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only way to fill in something like that, safely, would be to weld it up. It's not worth the trouble and expense. Just leave it like it is.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Well I started to install it on the car. Got the LS6 intake off in about an hour. I did some side by sides and noticed that the PP intake is narrower then the LS6. When I went to install it on the Heads you can see the outline of the LS6 intake around the gaskets of the new intake. Before I started to bolt it down I just wanted to make sure that this is correct? The intake gaskets cover the Ports on the heads but there is less over hang then the LS6 had.

The intake looks amazing on the car. The 96mm opening just dwarfs the LS6 and the comparing the runners side by side I could see that the PP runners are quite a bit larger then the LS6 runners.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails PP 96mm intake questions-intake1.jpg   PP 96mm intake questions-intake-2.jpg   PP 96mm intake questions-intake-3.jpg   PP 96mm intake questions-ls6.jpg   PP 96mm intake questions-ty.jpg  

Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wanna donate LS6 intake to my project!!!! ROFLMAO
Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

I am donating it to my 98 Corvette. Sorry.. I will have a 98 LS1 intake I will donate to you if you want it?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Looks great! I just got mine in the mail from a member on here and it looks great...now i just need a motor lol. Cant wait to see your dyno numbers!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

My stupid Throttle body wont be here till Tuesday now. FedEx tried to deliver yesterday and we werent home so I called and asked if it could be held at the location.. They said yes but they didnt tell me that the location were its being held is closed Sun and Mon. Not Winning..

If you have a Dremel tool I would suggest opening the intake up. You will see some sharp corners and what not that I grinded down and I cleaned up the Runners and polished them up a bit as well. spent about 8 hrs on it as it was the 1st time I did something like this but was fun and pretty easy to do.

Last edited by 1998silverbird; 01-06-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

The intake and Fuel Rail are on. I had a couple fuel leaks but it was just some loose connections.

Getting the Intake on while keeping the gaskets from moving was a bitch. I think I got it so the gaskets are on were they need to be. I noticed that the intake runner is shorter on the Manifold then it is on the head but the Manifold runners are wider then the ones on the heads. Dont know if its because I have LS6 heads or not?

The bolts that hold the manifold down are great.. They are a little shorter then stock bolts so you can remove all the bolts under the cowl ( 5 of them) while the intake is still on the motor. That was the biggest pain with getting the LS6 intake off.

Another good thing is that its much easier to get around the intake since its not as wide as the LS6. The Runners stick up higher but the rest of the intake seems to be shorter then the LS6. I can reach the back of the intake to the Vaccumm lines and Map sensor were as with the stock intake you had to remove the 10 bolts, tape up the 5 under the cowl so they stay up and move the intake towards the front a bit in order to get to everything in the back.

The polished intake looks amazing under the hood. If it performs like the way it looks then I would be estatic.

I had a Ebay 102mm TB that I was going to use but the IAC hole was to small for my sensor. I got the TB for 150.00 shipped. It looked great but I didnt want to mess with the opening of the hole so I got my money back and will be returning that TB and ordered a Nick Williams 102 TB.

With the Intake, Fuel Rail, and Ebay TB Total I had 620.00 for everything brand new. 320 for the intake, 150 for F/R, and 150 for TB.
The NW TB cost 250.00 for it so now my number is up to 720.00 for everything.

Last edited by 1998silverbird; 07-15-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

I forgot to mention that the Pro Products Fuel rail kit is great but the brackets that connect to the Fuel rails to the intake come with Phillips head screws. I would suggest to replace them with hex head bolts so you can get to them with ease.

Today I just swapped out the bolts for the fuel rails, and got my Traction control back behind my PCM were we moved it to. Still waiting for the TB.

Another little issue I ran into is that the bracket for the Throttle cable needs to be cut back as it hits the Fuel rail. There is only 1 cable going to the bracket and it looks like there is another spot that had a cable but since I have traction control that spot is empty and thats what I will cut off.
Attached Thumbnails PP 96mm intake questions-getattachment-1-.jpg   PP 96mm intake questions-getattachment-1-1.jpg  
Old 01-08-2013, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

Got my Nick Williams This morning in the mail.. It looks good but compared to the Ebay TB I think the Ebay TB looks nicer. They look almost identical but the Ebay TB has more polish in it. I guess I was excpecting a Throttle body that costs 250.00 to look way better then one that costs 150.00? Should have it on this afternoon after work..

Which one is which?
Attached Thumbnails PP 96mm intake questions-tb1.jpg   PP 96mm intake questions-tb3.jpg   PP 96mm intake questions-tb2.jpg  

Last edited by 1998silverbird; 07-15-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Haha damn that's a shame...i think anyone on here would agree
Old 01-08-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Well the car is running with no Fuel leaks, No known vacuum leaks. It sounds wicked like its procharged or what not. The TB is opening 85% as the cable needs to be adjusted and the TB is also sticking when you 1st give it gas. We took it for a drive and went WOT a couple times. Drove it for about 10 mins and got the motor up to 210 degrees. Came back and you could feel the heat from the heads and headers but the intake was just a little warm and the front snout and TB were still cold. My buddy Kevin should be posting the videos of it running here shortly. Big thanks to him for helping with the install.

I Talked with my tuner and should be getting tuned next week or the following week.

Last edited by 1998silverbird; 01-09-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is 98silverbirds first start up after the intake swap
Old 01-10-2013, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

The throttle cable needs to be adjusted and the car tuned but the install is pretty much complete. I need to clamp down some hoses and what not. Here is what the engine bay looks like.. Had the car running for about 25 minutes yesterday just idleing and then shut it off. The intake was warm but I could leave my hand on it forever if I wanted but the heads were very hot, and the TB and Snout was still cool to the touch. The intake also seems to cool down a lot faster then the LS6 intake as about 5 mins later the intake was cool to the touch but the heads were still pretty damn hot.
Attached Thumbnails PP 96mm intake questions-getattachment-1-.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

this going to be dyno'd?

i had a friend lose 4hp by swapping from LS6 intake to the PP one. he went with a 90mm tb tho...still sucks to spend a few bucks and lose power...
Old 01-10-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by zacht
this going to be dyno'd?

i had a friend lose 4hp by swapping from LS6 intake to the PP one. he went with a 90mm tb tho...still sucks to spend a few bucks and lose power...
Yes its gonna get tuned and dynoed hopefully in a week.

I have no idea how you would loose power. If you could hear this thing in person it sounds like its supercharged with the amount of air being sucked in through the lid.

I got the throttle cable adjusted and man what a difference. The car has amazing throttle response now. Cant wait to get it tuned and let it rip.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1998silverbird
Yes its gonna get tuned and dynoed hopefully in a week.

I have no idea how you would loose power. If you could hear this thing in person it sounds like its supercharged with the amount of air being sucked in through the lid.

I got the throttle cable adjusted and man what a difference. The car has amazing throttle response now. Cant wait to get it tuned and let it rip.
pretty baffled by it too...swapped out his stock ls6 stuff... went with this and a LS7 TB. and the PP fuel rail kit. he had a customer upgrading to the ls6 intake so he sold the customer his, installed it, and bought this little 'upgrade' for not much out of pocket...
Old 01-11-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

Well we shall see. I would be shocked if my car doesnt make at least 10-15 more hp with this setup.. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

Default Nice!

Sounds very nice and looks sick! you should get a vid on start up as well

Quick Reply: PP 96mm intake questions