Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump bad leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump bad leak

Can't find where my power steering pump is leaking but it's getting all over everything including my alternator and I have to put power steering leak stop in it to last me the week, every week. I have found one place where it looks like it is dripping from but I can't see how it's getting to the alternator. I'll include a picture but its got a clamp on the hose at the top by the tank and it won't tighten any more...but i am suspicious that there are more spots its probably leaking. should I just take it out and get a new pump already?

Power steering pump bad leak-image.jpg
Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Had the same happen to me and it ended up being the high pressure line.No ps stop leak will fix that..dont even bother. Do yourself a favor and change the line asap..the fluid wiped out my alt..and put stress on the ps pump from going low all the time that my pulley came right off the pump itself.Was a fun day..belt..alt and ps pulley and line and nearly over heated the motor.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Redbull87
Had the same happen to me and it ended up being the high pressure line.No ps stop leak will fix that..dont even bother. Do yourself a favor and change the line asap..the fluid wiped out my alt..and put stress on the ps pump from going low all the time that my pulley came right off the pump itself.Was a fun day..belt..alt and ps pulley and line and nearly over heated the motor.
Is there a DIY thread or a diagram on here somewhere?...or even a pic of the hose would help
Old 01-04-2013, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Mine was the High pressure hose I had to take the Pump off to replace it
Old 01-04-2013, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Yup..usually is the line.

Do a search on here about changing the line and alot of guys had to either remove the pulley or the pump just to get to the fitting.

I kinda cheated and didnt do either.I had an airsaw and was able to cut the line as close to the fitting as possible,then used a deep socket and took the fitting out.I placed rags etc everywhere I could to prevent fluid making a big mess.Changed the line in 15 mins or less without removing anything else.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...placement.html
Old 01-04-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a leak recently. Turned out to be a crack in the reservior. I ended up buying a new pump and a new revervior for the old one. If you are interested in the pump or a line let me know. I'm going to use the new pump.

Quick Reply: Power steering pump bad leak