Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying stock Y pipe worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying stock Y pipe worth it?

I have come to a situation here, when i bought my 02 z28 all it had was a magnaflow muffler, thats it (no idea which one,) car sounds decent when punching it but just not loud enough. My budget (aka the wife) is making this difficult so im trying to look at some budget ideas here. Ive been looking around at some cat back systems, from the shops ive been to around here say that most cat backs wont make my car much louder than it already is but will just change the tone and im happy with the tone. I really want longtube headers but with that price its just not going to happen. Cant do a cut out because they are illegal and my wife doesnt want to deal with that. So yea...

At one performance shop the guy there told me he modded a friend's stock Y pipe to give him some more noise. He said he could get it done from around $150-$250 which is fine. I know it would screw me over for longtubes later since i would have to ditch it, but i dont have any big plans for this thing.

I also saw the SLP loudmouth and loudmouth 2 cat backs, those are semi cheap and am considering those but what have you heard about them? Do they sound any good? Are they tinny at all? thanks guys.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loudmouth and be done with it.. If you ever go longtubes get a different catback but on stock exhaust it sounds awesome and is loud.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your exhaust guy is on crack. Buy a Loudmouth or TSP Rumbler, and If you want to modify the stock y pipe buy a $50 merge and pay $50 to have it put on
Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you pay a muffler shop that much to modify the stock Y... SLP sells a full diameter bolt on replacement. I've had one on my SS and the tone did get slightly louder/deeper.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

If by "modify" he means "punch out the cores of the catalytic converters", then indeed that will change the exhaust note quite a bit. But that might give you trouble being legal as well (visually no one would know, but if you have to submit to a tailpipe emissions test you'd be out of luck. Also, without being tuned out, your check engine light would come on.)
Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're worried about a cutout being illegal, but you want headers
Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bww3588
You're worried about a cutout being illegal, but you want headers
As far as I know where I am headers are legal, as long as all the emissions crap is all in place. Thanks for the replies guys, il take a Look at that slp y pipe and loudmouth
Old 01-07-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't pay that much to have somone "modify" your stock Y pipe, get a Loudmouth or Loudmouth 2 catback, that alone will change your tone and reduce your weight as it gets rid of that oversized muffler. And if you want to go go the full step like i am, go with eaither a custom Y pipe or SLP y pipe for the same price shipped as this guy doing what somone else suggested he's going to do...punch out your cats...
Old 01-07-2013, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DBGP
As far as I know where I am headers are legal, as long as all the emissions crap is all in place. Thanks for the replies guys, il take a Look at that slp y pipe and loudmouth
Long tube headers are 100 percent illegal in all 50 us states. Anything that moves the location of the factory cats are highly frowned upon by the emissions *****.

Now, you may get away with just having cats in place for a visual, but that doesn't make it legal.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ebay headers are 200, TSP ORY is 150, install yourself for free (also rewire the rear o2's to be used as fronts, again for free), plus a few bucks for good header bolts and gaskets. You'll need a tune to really take advantage of the LT's and not run pig *** rich, but you can get that from Frost for what, another 150? Either way, you're still only a hundo or two at the most above what a good exhaust system will cost. Just the Ebay LT's and TSP ORY will run the same as what a good exhaust will go for. Plus you get the performance gains.

Quick Reply: Modifying stock Y pipe worth it?