Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cruise Control Problem

Not sure if this belongs here but I wasn’t sure where to put it.

I got my 98 SS out of the garage to get it ready for summer. It’s been sitting all winter so I changed the oil and some basic stuff. Anyways, I got the thing out on 75 and was cruising. I decided to set the cruise control; it would not set. To be quite honest I am not sure I have ever used it on this car. The car has a little over 12,000 miles on it and I have never had any problems with it what so ever. I have been playing around with it some more and it just will not work. What could be the problem here? Where is the Cruise Control device located? Is this an electronic device or is it on some sort of mechanical vacuum system? Any trouble shooting help would be appreciated.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is only if you SS is stick:
Remove the knee bolster under the steering column and the plastic black trim panel the conects the knee bolster to the firewall just above the pedals(this piece is the trim that surrounds the OBD-II port). You will have to unplug the hatch release button to get the knee bolster completely off. Once this stuff is removed look up under the dash area(you might have to recline the driver seat all the way back and lay on the seat with your head resting on the floormat under the steering column). Reach up and push the clutch pedal down and watch the area where the pedal connects up under the dash. You will see two switches, one of each side of the clutch pedal shaft. The switch in front (towards the engine) is only activated when the clutch is disengaged(pedal pressed down). This switch tells the computer the clutch is fully depressed to allow for start-up of the motor. The other switch(towards the seat)on the opposite side of the pedal is activated when the clutch is engaged(pedal completely up not being touched at all). This switch has threads on it. Sometimes the switches threads will someone back-out and the switch won't come into contact with the pedal when the pedal is all the way up. When working correctly this switch gets completely depressed when the driver is not touching the clutch pedal at all (like when you are driving down the highway at 70mph just cruising). When this happens the switch is letting the computer know the clutch is fully engaged(car is in full motion); therefore, allows the cruise control to function properly. If this switch is being completely depressed then the computer thinks the clutch pedal is being depressed and won't allow the cruise to work. The cruise control shuts off immediately if you touch the brake pedal OR if you push in the clutch. If the PCM would allow the cruise to continue working without the switch then here is what would happen: you're cruising down the freeway at say 70mph and push the clutch to the floor and hold it there. The cruise control is going to sense the car's speed begin to decrease below the set speed and will accelerate to bring the car back up to 70mph. Since the clutch is disengaged the engine will just free-rev as if the trans were in neutral. The PCM would make the engine continue to rev until the rev limited engaged or the engine was damaged. I hope your SS is stick, if not sorry. If it's an auto I bet there is something similar but I don't know where.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

My cruise stopped working and I have an automatic trans. Any help?
Old 11-05-2004, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard that if your 3rd brake light is out, the cruise won't engage. Might give that a quick check.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So my cruise control quit working last week.

I have checked:

1. The switch on the clutch, it engages fully.
2. All fuses under the hood.
3. Brake lights all work.

What should I check next?
Old 11-29-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Z-6Speed
So my cruise control quit working last week.

I have checked:

1. The switch on the clutch, it engages fully.
2. All fuses under the hood.
3. Brake lights all work.

What should I check next?
Brake pedal switch also.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure if the F-body CC setup is the same as my GA, but I had a problem with the CC cable sliding off of the mount that holds both the cc cable and the throttle. It would slide off, not have any tension on the throttle, and be unable to hold it.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

My throttle cable was hooked up to the wrong place on the throttle body. It wasn't getting full throttle and caused the cruise to not work. After moving it to the correct place, it works great again.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

Haha, my cruise control sucks aswell. It will engage, but only after 5 minutes of trying to get it to engage.

I will be cruising 70mph and activate the cruise control, let off the gas and it will drop about 5mph and then the cruise control will take affect. It will keep working for awhile and then it will stop working and I have to try and set it again. It is a pos :þ