Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers Rubbing

Old 01-13-2013, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headers Rubbing

Okay, so after about a month of work my car is almost ready to go. During the test drive last night I noticed that the driver's side header is scrubbing. I've already dented the headers a little previously to try and get them to fit. Are there any recommendations that anyone would recommend where I do not have to take the headers out of the car once again to get better clearance? These are TSP LT headers, 1-7/8", and they appear to be scraping at the very bottom.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Are they scrapeing the road from being to low or hitting the k member at the bottom? If you didn't replace the motor mounts that could be alot of it. I've got the TSP 1 7/8 headers (the older not stainless version) with poly mounts and they don't hang low or hit anywhere.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have any idea where is it hitting? my flowtech used to hit but it was very minimal i could have gotten away with it by grinding the K member but i dented the header instead lol because they are cheap so id rather keep the car as is. i suggest u go under and inspect. what Y pipe are you using? check the Y pipe too and inspect for excessive shakes.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

The headers are scraping at the k members. As for y-pipe, I'm using the TSP ORY. Everything has been hooked up properly and clearance is fine, other than the scraping of the k member. It basically hits at lower rpm's, once i get up to speed and on the rpm's (2000ish) the scraping stops.

The motor mounts were not replaced. At one point I was wondering if the problem for the scraping was sagging motor mounts.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

yep. it could motor mounts too. does it happen it in gear? or only neutral? cant you grind where it hits?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Omarakeen: it only happens in gear
Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Teching In

I've seen a couple people cut notches to clear pipes but if I were you I would put some poly mounts. Don't use solid mounts because they usually lift the engine just enough to cause your y pipe to rub.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98WS6Hville
Omarakeen: it only happens in gear
as long as it happens in gear, your engine mounts could be bad. but whether you're engine mounts are causing the headers to rub OR the headers rub because they dont fit right that you wont know until you get new mounts. take a look at the engine and let someone rev it and check for excessive movements. if you're going to change mounts then thats okay if not i suggest you take a look and identify where does it rubs and grind. good luck.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

solid or poly motor mounts... problem solved

personally i went with solids and they are only noticable at around 2200 rpm causing a little vibration. A lot of people will say dont get solids that have never even tried/ had solid mounts.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BennyB
solid or poly motor mounts... problem solved

personally i went with solids and they are only noticable at around 2200 rpm causing a little vibration. A lot of people will say dont get solids that have never even tried/ had solid mounts.
everyone is different. i would never want solid mounts on my daily driver. yes ive never tired it but again the idea itself is a no for me. the car has already enough vibration to add solids
Old 01-14-2013, 07:45 AM
TECH Junkie

I used a grinder to clearance my k and also installed poly mounts. my 1 7/8 hookers were touching so I pulled it and hit it with the grinder. knocked maybe 1/4 inch off and sprayed it w rustoleum. they haven't touched since the install.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers Rubbing