Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car died, alternator/charging woes..

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car died, alternator/charging woes..

Hello all. I am having alternator issues. My 02 SS has always had issues with voltage, sometimes in dead cold winter start up it would peg up to 15 volts, shaky needle on the gauge as well as voltage. It didn't do it forever, voltage would steady out after a couple mins at 13.7 and stayed that way until the other day. I was driving and all of a sudden I start noticing a voltage drop steadily declining on my radar detector, then it turns off. 5 mins later, my gauges die, and I start calling roadside assistance, and then turn the car off. Long story short, alternator tests bad at autozombies, battery is OK and has a full charge. I bought a new 200amp from AlterStart because I need to upgrade for the system I am running anyways, supposedly bolt in to the stock wiring harness. I went along and bought the Innovative big 3 wiring kit as well, but haven't gotten it in yet. Well, got it in after several hours of labor and cold hands, and still wasn't charging. Checked voltage at exciter wire on a full charge, and it was 10.4v at the harness, battery read 12.5v. Exciter wire has voltage. There is voltage from the back of the alternator charge wire all the way up to the battery, but still no charge!

What do I check now? Wiring seems to be fine, gonna yank out the new one and bring it back to get tested. What else can I check, is there a fuse somewhere I can check?
Old 01-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Staging Lane

morning bump..
Old 01-18-2013, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

stock alt?
Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
stock alt?
Stock alternator was replaced. It tested bad at AutoZone. I thought it was the problem, but the 200amp one I bought isn't working either.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:59 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

have the battery load tested...
just because it shows voltage, doesnt mean its any good
and a bad battery can cause those issues you are seeing even though the alternator is putting out voltage...when they go bad, they can act like a life sap instead of a place to store electricity

not saying that is teh problem... just saying you need to be certain

also, double check all your chassis grounds and motor grounds
Old 01-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

ended up being a bunk alternator, some part was left off and it shorted itself out. Charges perfectly now at constant 13.7v to 14.5 in the car by gauges, it's crazy, it's never had that high of voltage when hot and everything running.

Quick Reply: car died, alternator/charging woes..