Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Knock sensor replacement

Are you guys only using OEM replacements? Dorman? Ac Delco? Etc?

Looking on Ebay and it looks like the cheapest I can get out for is around 125$.

I'm doing both sensors and the harness.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oem

Originally Posted by lemons12
Are you guys only using OEM replacements? Dorman? Ac Delco? Etc?

Looking on Ebay and it looks like the cheapest I can get out for is around 125$.

I'm doing both sensors and the harness.

Whats good Lemons? yeah when i changed mine i just went oem ac delco it such a pain in the butt to get the intake manifold off and back on so i just went with what i figure will last the longest
Old 01-21-2013, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got some ac delco or something cheap off ebay for my ls3 they've been working fine
Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i would only go OEM..........dont cheap out here
Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TransamGCS
Whats good Lemons? yeah when i changed mine i just went oem ac delco it such a pain in the butt to get the intake manifold off and back on so i just went with what i figure will last the longest
I've had my intake manifold on/off my motor 30+ times in the past few days..... It does help mine is sitting on the stand though!
My engine bay is pretty cleaned up though so I could replace the knock sensors in under 45 minutes from start to finish in the car if need be.

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
I got some ac delco or something cheap off ebay for my ls3 they've been working fine
I'm pretty sure that is what I'm going to order tomorrow.

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
i would only go OEM..........dont cheap out here
Yea yea yea.... EVERYTHING with this build I've talked myself out of cheaping out "here", whatever I'm doing at that time.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

why are you replacing them? how often should we be replacing knock sensors...
Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Had mine go bad back in july when I did an in depth detail job on my engine bay. Bought mine from ecaronline. The listing says they are acdelco when I bought them in july. But it looks like the seller switched to another brand but still includes the harness. Seems legit, haven't had a problem with mine going 7 months strong. I did put some rtv silicone around the boots to prevent water from getting in again.

Search Two Knock Sensors Harness on ebay. Maybe you can message him and ask him if he still sells the ACDelco ones.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Burken01
why are you replacing them? how often should we be replacing knock sensors...
I'm installing my 370 and just covering all my basis, this is one of them. I bought all new gaskets, replaced a ton of bolts, etc etc..

As long as they don't get wet, they should stay good for a long time. If they have never been replaced however, I would highly recommend it and make sure you use RTV to make sure it stays nice and dry.

If the cars engine bay has ever been sprayed down to clean it, they most likely got wet which could cause issues.

It is an easy task to accomplish.. Just pull your intake and they are right there, not hard to get to. You can also clean really well under the intake as well.
I would most likely do an ls6 valley cover at the same time as this since it is right there and you only have a few 10mm bolts to be able to pull the valley cover. You have to clearance (I didn't since I had the newer design lq9 for my build, if you have an ls6 block (some 01-02s got them) you wouldn't have to clearance the block either) the ls1 block but it is very worth it. You would end up close to 200$ for the valley cover swap and the knock sensors.. But you get rid of some crap cluttering the engine bay and have a chance to do some cleaning.
I would set 4 hours aside to do this project.

Originally Posted by WS6_Veteran
Had mine go bad back in july when I did an in depth detail job on my engine bay. Bought mine from ecaronline. The listing says they are acdelco when I bought them in july. But it looks like the seller switched to another brand but still includes the harness. Seems legit, haven't had a problem with mine going 7 months strong. I did put some rtv silicone around the boots to prevent water from getting in again.

Search Two Knock Sensors Harness on ebay. Maybe you can message him and ask him if he still sells the ACDelco ones.
Thanks for the heads up... I will be using rtv around them as well.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I cheaped out the 1st time mine went bad, I just got autozone ones and 2 were bad right out of the box didnt even get to drive 20 miles before the light kicked on. Bought new delcos off amazon and all has been good. get the delcos
Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redbird555
I cheaped out the 1st time mine went bad, I just got autozone ones and 2 were bad right out of the box didnt even get to drive 20 miles before the light kicked on. Bought new delcos off amazon and all has been good. get the delcos
I replaced mine with new BWD knock sensors and a new Dorman harness.
Now whenever my car sits for a long time and I go to start it up my Service Engine Soon light flashes. I have to turn the car off and then back on to make it go away.

Could this mean my knock sensors are defective?
I made sure to torque them to the specified 15 ft\lbs.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

so I am assuming you are going to put the knock sensor on the side with a knock sensor/cam sensor extension harness since you doing a ls3 swap? you may have to drill and tap a hole so the knock sensor will do on the drivers side of the block.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanka redbird..

Justin.. Lq9 block/ls3 top end.
Mine are still under the intake.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
Thanka redbird..

Justin.. Lq9 block/ls3 top end.
Mine are still under the intake.
sorry I didn't see that at first lol. so is there anything special you need for that swap then? is the cam sensor in the front or back on that motor?

Quick Reply: Knock sensor replacement