Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb header question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb header question?

Hey everyone, i was wondering if anyone knew the cheapest headers one can get for the money that will give some power? If someone wouldn't mind listing some brands and sights i can see them and the prices. A thank ya very much.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

read the newbie mod guide sticky above. JRP lists a few in there and tells a little about them. I think pacesetters are the cheapest bang for the buck on L/T's but Ive heard bad things with their y-pipe (clearance etc). I just bought a set of KOOKS to replace my SLPs but those 2 sets are both pretty expensive. Mac are probably next in line price wise but again, you get what you payfor.

Good luck!!!
Old 04-18-2004, 05:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by shaneSS
read the newbie mod guide sticky above. JRP lists a few in there and tells a little about them. I think pacesetters are the cheapest bang for the buck on L/T's but Ive heard bad things with their y-pipe (clearance etc). I just bought a set of KOOKS to replace my SLPs but those 2 sets are both pretty expensive. Mac are probably next in line price wise but again, you get what you payfor.

Good luck!!!
why'd you replace your SLP's?
Old 04-18-2004, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

SLPs? Low ground clearance I'm assuming. These hang way too low for some people especially on lowered applications. I just ordered myself a set, but I'm at stock height and don't have any major speed bumps to deal with. Quality materials and welds as well as ceremic coating is what sold me ; Oh and a killer deal from a vendor that I had worked with in the past.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:41 PM

Pacesetters are cheap, but you get what you pay for. I ordered Kooks today.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

-why'd you replace your SLP's?

Yes, I replaced my SLP's because of ground clearance. My car is Lowered and I read too many bad stories on here aout SLP's getting banged up that I never even put them on the car. Their still in their original shipped plastic wrap. If any wants a good deal on them PM me. The SLP's are the best bang for thu buck QUALITY header in my opinion. THey are stainless AND come coated (jet hot from what ive read) . I wish I could have kept them to be honest, They are gorgeous and great quality. I ordered Kooks instead and I have NO regrest so far. My other choice would have been QTP then Jet Hot(great deal from what ive read).

Oh and the other reason I didnt do the SLPs is because They are the hardest header to install of all longtubes. I do my own installs in my garage on jackstands ant time is limited so I wanted NO hassle. Im sure most of you are in the same position. Man if I could only raise the roof on my garage and get an electric lift.........STOP dreaming. any how enjoy you new setup, whatever headers you get cause either way youll love LTs!!!!
Old 04-18-2004, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by shaneSS
-why'd you replace your SLP's?

Yes, I replaced my SLP's because of ground clearance. My car is Lowered and I read too many bad stories on here aout SLP's getting banged up that I never even put them on the car.
Yeah, that's definately a common complaint.

I've got them on mine and love the sound and performance increases (though I heard a ticking today... when I drive her next week I'm going to have to check the plugs for tightness and then see if its my gaskets...). I, uhhh, also already *clearanced* the passenger side header. I think with my new 1/8" or so of 'new room' I'll be ok for future dips in the road - but my car's at the stock height and may even be sitting around a 1/2" taller when I get the wheels/tires I'm looking for

I've got to get tuned already, I swear there's so much more power hiding in the little black box
Old 04-19-2004, 06:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, I am tunning mine as soon as I get my LS6 intake on. I may do a ATI in the future but I dont wanna wait to tune her. Its only $190 and if I can get her running her best and gain 5-15 HP from is then thats good too. If I could only stop taking it apart to mod it, I just might get to drive it again this year!