Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Bend's

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default The Bend's

What is the degree of bend for the driver side pipe when it exits the header? Any idea?

Notice that the headers kick out to the left on the driver side header but is straight on the passeger side header. What is the degree of deflection, for the Y pipe? I need to know for a custom exhaust fabrication.

Cheers!

Chad
Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 AM
12 Second Club

Where are the exhaust pro's? I need some help here!!

Chad
Old 01-30-2013, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Its 12 -15* What you trying to DIY install ?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

What I'm doing is fabbing a new exhaust from the headers back in 3" oval tubing. The drivers side header turns to the outside a small degree, I need to know what that degree of bend is so I can turn it back straight and run my piping.
You say that is 12 - 15 degrees? Is this a guess or a soild measurement? I am getting the pipe from SpinTech, been thinking about sending them a piece of the factory Y pipe and have them make a piece with the same degree of bend out of 3" oval.

Chad

Last edited by ss4chad; 01-30-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Cant spell
Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss4chad
What I'm doing is fabbing a new exhaust from the headers back in 3" oval tubing. The drivers side header turns to the outside a small degree, I need to know what that degree of bend is so I can turn it back straight and run my piping.
You say that is 12 - 15 degrees? Is this a guess or a soild measurement? I am getting the pipe from SpinTech, been thinking about sending them a piece of the factory Y pipe and have them make a piece with the same degree of bend out of 3" oval.

Chad
All longtubes I have seen kick out , they will vary from make to make. The 12-15 is a quote from my exhaust guy from my ARH longtubes. If want to right on the money go to a local exhaust shop have them bend you a 12* test pipe , fit it and take a look see where at. Oval will be nice, I have considered oval TDs myself. Some of the bend can be made up in the transition round to oval .Keep us posted on your plan.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

I went ahead and ordered a 15* bend and will see where that ends up, I'm thinking I can massage it into place without much trouble.

Ron from SpinTech said to get the 15* and cut the ends off to make it match if its too much or not enough. He said he would put some directions in the box for me to show me what to do. I like doing buisness with him, straight up guy with no BS.

I hope to get my new motor fired this weekend. I built a Darton Sleeved 427 with all the supporting Go Fast parts and hope to be making almost 600 at the wheels naturally. When I start putting the exhaust together I will post up pics as I go, I plan on doing all of the welding myself.

It will be a true dual system, no H, X or Y pipe, 3" oval pipe to dual 3" oval mufflers transitioning to round over the axels and straight out the back slash cut. I chose oval tubing becasue the car is lowered and oval tubing gives me an additional 3/4" of ground clearence.

Thanks for the help OMC8!!

Chad

Last edited by ss4chad; 01-31-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-04-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went ahead and ordered a 15* bend and will see where that ends up, I'm thinking I can massage it into place without much trouble.

Ron from SpinTech said to get the 15* and cut the ends off to make it match if its too much or not enough. He said he would put some directions in the box for me to show me what to do. I like doing buisness with him, straight up guy with no BS.

I hope to get my new motor fired this weekend. I built a Darton Sleeved 427 with all the supporting Go Fast parts and hope to be making almost 600 at the wheels naturally. When I start putting the exhaust together I will post up pics as I go, I plan on doing all of the welding myself.

It will be a true dual system, no H, X or Y pipe, 3" oval pipe to dual 3" oval mufflers transitioning to round over the axels and straight out the back slash cut. I chose oval tubing becasue the car is lowered and oval tubing gives me an additional 3/4" of ground clearence.

Thanks for the help OMC8!!

Chad
No problem, I too was thinking of doing a oval tube system something like on the new Shelby Mustang. And I had the idea long before Ford put it on the Mustang. Please post up good pics of your custom oval set up that you build, like to see it.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Any reason your not running a crossover?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

Not needed for the HP I am going to make.

"The X pipe works best on a V8 engine running 300-500 hp because the volumetric efficiency is not as great as on a 700-800 hp V8 engine"

Copied that statement from an article in Corvette Forums.

My motor should make between 700 & 800 at the crank, so roughly 600 at the wheels. I have done some research and really havent found anything that says (for my HP) that an X pipe would be beneficial to my setup.

Plus that's another $200

Chad
Old 02-06-2013, 09:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know the normal angle, not the best one,
but I observe that every Y I've had other than the
stocker, has had one that's slightly wrong (if you
like a nice tuck-up and no banging).

I would advise you to think about multi-sectioning
it and using V-band clamps, or flanging it and making
the final angle rotations on-car and then tacking the
flanges in position. I don't think giving the bending
machine or the bending dude a number, has a very
good chance of first pass success.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

Found this article from Car Craft magazine talking about X Pipes.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles..._installation/

They were running straight headers and had Magnaflow install a stepped exhaust system with a X pipe and had the same power as straight headers but a whole lot quieter.

I'm not opposed to running an X pipe, just thinking about room and cost.

I aggree JimmyBlue, I plan on doing much of what you wrote. Thanks for the input!

Chad
Old 02-06-2013, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this article from Car Craft magazine talking about X Pipes.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles..._installation/

They were running straight headers and had Magnaflow install a stepped exhaust system with a X pipe and had the same power as straight headers but a whole lot quieter.

I'm not opposed to running an X pipe, just thinking about room and cost.

I aggree JimmyBlue, I plan on doing much of what you wrote. Thanks for the input!

Chad
That was an interesting article. So they had a 3" collector necked it down to 2 1/2" to the X, stepped it up tp 3 1/2" for 26" and then necked it back down to 3". I aint never seen anything like it before. And does the X on the car look way different than the one in the photo to you?
Old 02-09-2013, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

Yes it did, I guess they made a custom one for the project. And yes, interesting article for sure. Makes me reconsider my position. I think my setup will be noisy as hell, this might be a good way to tone it down a few decibles.

When I pull up to the Clubhouse in the car to play golf I bet its gonna rattle the windows, golfers may not appreciate that, especially the Ford golfers!!

Chad
Old 02-10-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
That was an interesting article. So they had a 3" collector necked it down to 2 1/2" to the X, stepped it up tp 3 1/2" for 26" and then necked it back down to 3". I aint never seen anything like it before. And does the X on the car look way different than the one in the photo to you?
I don't like the idea of necking down before the X, but it would be alright to step up to 3 1/2 then back to 3" that would be the same as long resonator effect.

Quick Reply: The Bend's