Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Crank Pulley, worth it? (Pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Crank Pulley, worth it? (Pics inside)

Browsing craigslist and came across a used chrome ls1 crank pulley. I haven't been able to sit down and do an extensive read on pulley's but I have heard you don't want to buy random aftermarket ones because they are not correctly harmonically balanced.

Seller doesn't want much for this one claims he switched to a Supercharger and needed a larger pulley.

If I bought this am I looking at any problems? Wasn't really planning to install a pulley on my motor but for the right price and I can pick up locally, why not? Mods are listed in Sig, nothing heavy but I am planning a cam in the near future.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Is ir an underdrive pulley or is it there just to look purdy?
Btw, is hat a keyway in it?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
Is ir an underdrive pulley or is it there just to look purdy?
Btw, is hat a keyway in it?
A lot of the after market pulleys will have a keyway in them.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

What exactly is a "keyway"?

I talked to the seller but he is actually 2 and a half hours from me and he hasn't responded to last text about doing paypal and shipping. So, doesn't look like I'm getting it anyhow. He said its underdrive and is lighter than the stock and looks good in the process. Said it came in a whole pulley kit but this was the only one he didn't need anymore. Was going to buy it for the price he had but o well, can't win all the time.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats NOT an f-body pulley. Looks to be possibly for a Vette.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6_Veteran

I talked to the seller but he is actually 2 and a half hours from me and he hasn't responded to last text about doing paypal and shipping. So, doesn't look like I'm getting it anyhow. He said its underdrive and is lighter than the stock and looks good in the process. Said it came in a whole pulley kit but this was the only one he didn't need anymore. Was going to buy it for the price he had but o well, can't win all the time.
That is a keyway.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6_Veteran

Usually a pulley with a keyway also has a mark on it for timing that you can compare against timing marks usually somewhere on/around the front cover. A keyway only allows the pulley to go on in a certain orientation. This way you can always be sure that the timing is correct with what the slot on the pulley is matched up to.

You can see the timing marks as well as a notch on the pulley in this pic
Old 02-01-2013, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Usually a pulley with a keyway also has a mark on it for timing that you can compare against timing marks usually somewhere on/around the front cover. A keyway only allows the pulley to go on in a certain orientation. This way you can always be sure that the timing is correct with what the slot on the pulley is matched up to.

You can see the timing marks as well as a notch on the pulley in this pic
Thanks, that clears things up for me.

Guess if this is NOT an f-body pulley I guess this is out of the question then.

Quick Reply: Used Crank Pulley, worth it? (Pics inside)