Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mainfolds with ORY or high flows??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mainfolds with ORY or high flows??

So my driver side cat threw another code so I am finally going to fix it. Many will say go Lt's but I'm not in the financial situation for that. I'm a high school student trying to save for college. So here are my options. Delete the cats and get a tune from frost. Or order stainless works high flow kit with a new y pipe. Prices aren't that far off just not sure which would sound best an best performance. BTW I have a SLP loudmouth 2, so I would like to keep the deep tone of the exhaust.

ORY: http://m.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-88028

High flows: http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...ck-manifolds-/
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For as much as that stainless works setup you can get longtubes and off road y. Have you looked into pacesetters or even eBay lt's? You can get some used headers and y from the classifieds and not break the bank. I couldn't imagine spending nearly $500 on a y pipe setup.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes I have. And I pretty much decided that when I do LT's, I'm probably going to go a good brand and stainless with catted y and poly mounts and plugs. So I kind of have my mind made up. This y setup will be temporary until I can afford headers. I mean it wouldn't be a bad idea of say BBk or pacesetters I guess. May rethink but idk. This seems easiest and most cost effective.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Ah I see. I had a ory setup with stock manifolds for a bit when I first got the car. Had a cutout in the i pipe with it also. With a good street tune it was a noticeable improvement. If you have a exhaust shop nearby that can make you some new pipe that can be an option as well. Cost me a lil over $50 to make a custom ory. Held me over just fine until I got lt's. Sure does beat the 200-500 you would be looking at, and would help savings toward a premium longtube+ory setup.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MR_M
Ah I see. I had a ory setup with stock manifolds for a bit when I first got the car. Had a cutout in the i pipe with it also. With a good street tune it was a noticeable improvement. If you have a exhaust shop nearby that can make you some new pipe that can be an option as well. Cost me a lil over $50 to make a custom ory. Held me over just fine until I got lt's. Sure does beat the 200-500 you would be looking at, and would help savings toward a premium longtube+ory setup.
That's a good idea! I will look for some good exhaust shops in the area. I'm mean 200 isn't bad but at the end of the day it's just a piece of pipe haha. I'm hoping with that and a frost tune it will be noticeable difference.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Right on man hopefully you can find a place that will do the job with little fuss. It was no thing for the place in my town. You should be able to tell a difference with a good tune, I sure did. It had a nice burble through the stock cat back also.

If you haven't already, you should do the free ram air mod. That made a hell of a difference on my car. I was grinning ear to ear on the test run afterward.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MR_M
Right on man hopefully you can find a place that will do the job with little fuss. It was no thing for the place in my town. You should be able to tell a difference with a good tune, I sure did. It had a nice burble through the stock cat back also.

If you haven't already, you should do the free ram air mod. That made a hell of a difference on my car. I was grinning ear to ear on the test run afterward.
I know about th free ram air but never got around to doing it. Maybe i will take car of that before i tune it and do the ORY.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Just look for a used converter or something. That catted y is expensive, and if it's only temporary, you will be throwing money away. Good luck on selling it for any decent amount of money. The scrap people won't give you much either since all aftermarket converters are ****.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well temporary im thinking maybe 4 years. So not like a year or something it will be a while. I think im just going to try this setup and see how i like it.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 73CamaroLT
Well temporary im thinking maybe 4 years. So not like a year or something it will be a while. I think im just going to try this setup and see how i like it.
Don't buy aftermarket cats then, I'll guarantee you will be replacing them year after year.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 5w20
Don't buy aftermarket cats then, I'll guarantee you will be replacing them year after year.
im not. Doing no cats.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same setup you're about to get, except I have a Magnaflow on mines. Wish I could have just bought LT's but I didn't at the time and still don't really have the money for them right now (college). Can't complain much about it though, the car sounds alright IMO at least, I would probably do it again.

Sharp looking car BTW man, yours will be setup just like mines, but in Black
Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
I have the same setup you're about to get, except I have a Magnaflow on mines. Wish I could have just bought LT's but I didn't at the time and still don't really have the money for them right now (college). Can't complain much about it though, the car sounds alright IMO at least, I would probably do it again.

Sharp looking car BTW man, yours will be setup just like mines, but in Black
Thanks alot! Maybe come spring time we can get some pics together! But overall how much did the sound change from stock y pipe and cats to the no cats? Im thinking with the LM2 it will sound good but not 100% sure.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll definitely take you up on that, we'll have to set something up one of these days for sure

Anyways, the sound change was pretty substantial, got a lot louder and raspier, but I like it. The smell that comes with it is nice as well. Yours will probably be louder than mines with the LM2 on there, but it shouldn't be too crazy, I think you'll like it.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good! I have been wanting something louder for a while. Hopefully if I can't find an exhaust shop ill order that kit from summit. Did you get a tune? Or do you just have ur engine light on?

Once I pull the plastidip off my wheels to get my nice chrome back, I'm definitely down for some photos. Need to find a decent spot. I can get a few other f bodies to come as well.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock tune, I just got the SES light cleared. That one from Summit you're going to get I'm sure will be fine but since you said it will be on there for a while, you may want to look into a stainless steel one instead depending on how much you drive the car, may be worth the extra cash.

Also like I said, let's do it man. Just let me know when and where, my friend has a white WS6 and he'd probably ride out as well.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking at doing just an ORY as well. I'm about ready to get a tune on the car and I love the sound of corsa exhaust with an ORY, so why not? I'm not planning on headers in the near future and if I can get one made for about $100 it wouldn't be too much money going down the drain. Plus is it really a waste if you like the sound it gives?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you plan on having it on the car for around 4yrs the get the SW ORY-pipe.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...ck-manifolds-/
Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Stock tune, I just got the SES light cleared. That one from Summit you're going to get I'm sure will be fine but since you said it will be on there for a while, you may want to look into a stainless steel one instead depending on how much you drive the car, may be worth the extra cash.

Also like I said, let's do it man. Just let me know when and where, my friend has a white WS6 and he'd probably ride out as well.
Definitely. I can think of a few cars that will come. Maybe meet a that burtonsville meet on Sunday and cruise somewhere after?

Also which y pipe do you have?? I'm trying to decide if the stainless works is worth the extra 100 over the other one.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why spend any money on stuff you are going to take off?? Get the tuned PCM from Frost...SES light gone and no money wasted on the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Mainfolds with ORY or high flows??