Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck PS pulley

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Truck PS pulley

I'm in the process of stripping down my new (used) '04 LQ9 for cleanup before installing it in my '67 Camaro. For the life of me, I can't remove the PS pulley from the bracket. The bracket is out of the car, alt is removed, but can't separate the PS pulley from the pump itself.

I sprayed it well with PB blaster and let it sit for 2 days and then tried pulling it with a 3 jaw puller remover with no luck. I hit it with heat and still no luck.

I actually ended up bending the back edge of the pulley, and now there's a little play in the pump shaft. I may need to replace the pump now. Are all truck PS pumps interchangeable?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to Autozone, Advance, etc. Borrow one of these for removing the old pulley and the correct install tool for the new one:

Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Go to Autozone, Advance, etc. Borrow one of these for removing the old pulley and the correct install tool for the new one:
Thanks. I had that one in my hand, and the guy behind the counter said "No, that's for Chrysler's only". I ended up trying it with the 7 ton 3 jaw puller and bent the pulley in the process. I'll rent the right one today.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the pulleys are available through Napa. I paid around $16 for mine.

Quick Reply: Truck PS pulley