Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal?

Hi,

I have an 02 z28 A4 w/ headers, no cats, SLP loudmouth, lid, ported TB and tune.

When I'm sitting still with the car running (in gear or out makes no difference) I feel a shake through the bottom of my seat every few seconds. The idle speed on the tach never changes (600 rpm) and if you are outside the car you can't see the car shake or hear a miss, but it always has that shake through the seat every few seconds.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with V8s so is this just something these cars do with open exhaust or should I be looking for a problem?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it could be vibration from motor/trans mount(s)
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
Sounds like it could be vibration from motor/trans mount(s)
Normal vibration or need to be replaced vibration?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Depends on the motor and trans mounts. If they're rubber they may be cracked/old and need replaced. If they're poly/solid it's normal. Rubber (stock style) vibrate the least/absorb the most, poly is in the middle, solid transmit the most vibration because they don't allow flex.

If you do need them replaced, most people, including myself, advise poly motor mounts and a rubber replacement for the transmission mount.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by redlineshifter
Hi,

I have an 02 z28 A4 w/ headers, no cats, SLP loudmouth, lid, ported TB and tune.

When I'm sitting still with the car running (in gear or out makes no difference) I feel a shake through the bottom of my seat every few seconds. The idle speed on the tach never changes (600 rpm) and if you are outside the car you can't see the car shake or hear a miss, but it always has that shake through the seat every few seconds.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with V8s so is this just something these cars do with open exhaust or should I be looking for a problem?

Thanks!
I get this too, mine is an M6. It drives me nuts sometimes. Mine is very slight, and I was wondering if it had to do with the underdrive pulley I'm running. No i'll effects from the vibrations as of yet though. I may try throwing on the stock dampner and see what happens.

Do you run an aftermarket dampner?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

I still have the factory pulleys and dampener, so assuming we have the same problem, changing your dampener wouldn't help.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
Depends on the motor and trans mounts. If they're rubber they may be cracked/old and need replaced. If they're poly/solid it's normal. Rubber (stock style) vibrate the least/absorb the most, poly is in the middle, solid transmit the most vibration because they don't allow flex.

If you do need them replaced, most people, including myself, advise poly motor mounts and a rubber replacement for the transmission mount.
The car still has the factory mounts. Why stick with a rubber transmission mount? Will a poly just transmit too much into the cabin?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

same thing with mine, getting poly mounts
Old 02-19-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

rough idle, not that uncommon
Old 02-19-2013, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by redlineshifter
Why stick with a rubber transmission mount? Will a poly just transmit too much into the cabin?
Yes, the poly trans mount will transmit EVERYTHING into the cabin, including any/all driveshaft vibrations, AND rear axle and bearing noises/whine/vibrations.

Quick Reply: Is this normal?