Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumped duals vs full length duals

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dumped duals vs full length duals

Im looking to get a new exhaust for my car and I had duals dumped before the axel and while they sounded great, the drone and occasional exhaust fumes got old. Im looking to do a full length set up this time around and Im wondering if there is a significant change in tone/volume compared to a dumped set up. Im worried it might sound a bit too tame I guess haha.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

itll be much quieter in the car, there will be less rattles and vibrations. It may sound more tame to you but to people outside of the car itll be little to no difference.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fly boy_1
Im looking to get a new exhaust for my car and I had duals dumped before the axel and while they sounded great, the drone and occasional exhaust fumes got old. Im looking to do a full length set up this time around and Im wondering if there is a significant change in tone/volume compared to a dumped set up. Im worried it might sound a bit too tame I guess haha.
I feel your pain as well. I have the same problems with mine. I am looking into a new set up. 1-7/8 headers and do full length out the back. Keep us updated on the changes. I would like to know about any changes in sound.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Will do, the new exhaust is going on as soon as it warms up enough to get my rear end and torque arm swapped. Hopefully in a few weeks at most.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had it both ways. Dumped its louder on the inside for sure. Outside its a Tad louder from all angles because it's centered directly under the car. So 20ft away from the car in all directions it sounds the same. I ended up going under the axle after 2 months because I wanted some quad tips (ta). Its quieter interior wise. From the outside its sounds better/louder directly behind the car. But its not as loud at idle 360 degrees around the car as it was dumped. Drive bye still sound the same though. No change at all performance wise. I like my **** loud...but out the back has a better more refined tone, and still just as loud when you touch the pedal. If I drove a Camaro I'd just keep it dumped though
Old 02-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Launching!

I have full length and fumes still make their way up to cabin. I don't have cats but with my kid in the car I keep my windows up when stopped. I imagine its worse with dumped but mine can be pretty unbearable
Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

^^With my dumps its only bad if the wind is blowing just right it comes in through the window. But overall my car has been very good with fumes blowing somewhere besides the cabin.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My pipes are angled out at 45* and not pointing directly down at the ground. Sounds good to me.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
My pipes are angled out at 45* and not pointing directly down at the ground. Sounds good to me.
This makes all the difference in the world.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I loved my duals dumped..wouldnt have it any other way.. Pure muscle sound!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So not to.hijack but I plan on doing duals on my LT setup, but my difference is no muf.. what's some thoughts on that?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mista Blazer
So not to.hijack but I plan on doing duals on my LT setup, but my difference is no muf.. what's some thoughts on that?
If your talking straight pipes it sounds like complete ****..Like an obnoxious suped up garbage truck. That's just a fact. You could run bullet mufflers...same "loudness" but refined to take away the shot gun bang raspy ****...and replace it with pure muscle car roar. It really does sound like **** though..don't think to hard about this one. Or...just start s thread and see what others say.

Last edited by justin hover; 02-20-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by justin hover
If your talking straight pipes it sounds like complete ****..Like an obnoxious suped up garbage truck. That's just a fact. You could run bullet mufflers...same "loudness" but refined to take away the shot gun bang raspy ****...and replace it with pure muscle car roar. It really does sound like **** though..don't think to hard about this one. Or...just start s thread and see what others say.
This is why I ask I'm new to exhaust all I have on my ta is a magnaflow single in dual out and.its rather quiet I want more of a muscle sound. Might to LM1 if O can get my hands on them or as you suggest the bullet
Old 02-21-2013, 05:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Duals with sweet thunders.. you can't go wrong
Old 02-21-2013, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

After a lot of consideration I think Im going to run dumps again. Maybe use some slightly longer bullets to help tone it down a hair. I just couldnt see running some kind of retarded tips... Anybody have pics of the angle of the tips at the turndowns to cut down on the drone? Would having them angled directly towards the side of the car help (180* vs 45*)?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fly boy_1
After a lot of consideration I think Im going to run dumps again. Maybe use some slightly longer bullets to help tone it down a hair. I just couldnt see running some kind of retarded tips... Anybody have pics of the angle of the tips at the turndowns to cut down on the drone? Would having them angled directly towards the side of the car help (180* vs 45*)?
Here you go. This is the first set of duals I built back in 04.

Angling the tips like this makes a world of difference in the car.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default flowmaster 1 chambers

does anyone have a video clip of a cammed ls1 with flowmaster 1 chambers coming off the headers with no crossover pipe or anything?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Fwiw, I think these cars sound like **** without a x or y pipe. Loud as hell and tone quality is similar to a Harley, but 10X more obnoxious. I would only do bullets off the headers if it was a trailer queen.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Just bumping this back up...

I went with dumped duals again this time, and from the advice on this thread I had my friend angle the tips a bit to cut down on drone and it worked. Sounds much nicer in the cabin, and feels like less vibration in the car overall. Very happy with how it all turned out. All custom 3" mandrel bent tubing for $400.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
This right here makes a world of a difference in terms of interior noise and vibrations etc...

Angle it straight down if you like more noise, drone etc...

Quick Reply: Dumped duals vs full length duals