Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should be the next step in mods?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What should be the next step in mods?

My current power level, track times, and mods are in my sig...
I got the car running again after a misshap and i have some cash left to spare

What would be the best way to gain a few tenths with another external mod?

I've been thinking about a fast 92mm setup OR TSP 1 7/8th Headers with a flowmaster Y merge and cutout. (still rocking the pacesetter Y and pacesetter 1-3/4's)

The problem is just choosing between the two since the leftover cash will only cover one option.

If i can't decide i'm just gonna talk to someone i know about buying their dual stage plate kit.. I just want the car to be capable of running 11.5's on motor before i even go to spray it.

Also, ordered MWC 9" back in november with a 3.70 gear so A gear swap is out of the question. Just gotta wait for the rear to get here.

if anyone has a used 92mm setup they wanna sell.. PM me also interested in nitrous parts
Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the FAST 92 would do much better than the the exhaust upgrade. Then there is little things, like UDP's, ported TB, SSRA, etc...
Old 02-24-2013, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if you already have headers then I would say the intake but you already have a ls6 intake. Going from a set of 1 3/4 to 1 7/8's is going to net you about the same power as swapping the ls6 for a FAST 92. If I were you I would put the money somewhere else like in a set of subframe connectors or something. But it's your car and your money, do as you wish. I just think swapping out headers for another set of headers or an intake for an intake is just a waste when the ones you have are already working just fine for the cam your running on a stock bottom end.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy....a FAST 92/92 or 102. The gains over the LS6 would be well worth the money spent. I saw great results with my FAST 92 after making the switch over the LS6.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Well if you already have headers then I would say the intake but you already have a ls6 intake. Going from a set of 1 3/4 to 1 7/8's is going to net you about the same power as swapping the ls6 for a FAST 92. If I were you I would put the money somewhere else like in a set of subframe connectors or something. But it's your car and your money, do as you wish. I just think swapping out headers for another set of headers or an intake for an intake is just a waste when the ones you have are already working just fine for the cam your running on a stock bottom end.
Your comparison to switching to larger headers and to a FAST intake (gain wise) couldn't be more off. He would net a lot more power going to a FAST set up than he would larger headers.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
Your comparison to switching to larger headers and to a FAST intake (gain wise) couldn't be more off. He would net a lot more power going to a FAST set up than he would larger headers.
Sorry. I did a lot of research when I went bought my LS6 intake and found that on a stock bottom end car, reguardless of the head and cam setup the FAST didn't net an overwhelmingly amount more than the LS6 did. For the price of the FAST, and the gains seen, I think the money could be spent on better things. At some point you have to be able to control what you making, and from his sig he only has lower control arms and a panhard bar paired with what I assume is stock springs and shocks. It's a desaster waiting to happen. Just my .02
Old 02-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Well if you already have headers then I would say the intake but you already have a ls6 intake. Going from a set of 1 3/4 to 1 7/8's is going to net you about the same power as swapping the ls6 for a FAST 92.
Are you smoking dope? You cannot compare horsepower gains from a Fast combo to 1-7/8 LT's...especially on a 370ci. His gains would far more great with a better intake than headers.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFastKid
Are you smoking dope? You cannot compare horsepower gains from a Fast combo to 1-7/8 LT's...especially on a 370ci. His gains would far more great with a better intake than headers.
My bad. I didn't see he was running a 370ci engine. And no I'm not smoking dope.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry. I did a lot of research when I went bought my LS6 intake and found that on a stock bottom end car, reguardless of the head and cam setup the FAST didn't net an overwhelmingly amount more than the LS6 did. For the price of the FAST, and the gains seen, I think the money could be spent on better things. At some point you have to be able to control what you making, and from his sig he only has lower control arms and a panhard bar paired with what I assume is stock springs and shocks. It's a desaster waiting to happen. Just my .02
I can see spending money on suspension components if he is using the car for track purposes. But if he is simply trying to add more power, his LS6 is his biggest restriction. You can do all the research you want, but until you actually make the jump over to a FAST, your reading is doing you no good. Your about the only person I've ever heard say gains would be at a minimum by going to a FAST. Your theory couldn't be more wrong.

Even if it wasn't a 370, he would still see amazing results with a FAST. My gains with one on a cam only were awesome.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
I can see spending money on suspension components if he is using the car for track purposes. But if he is simply trying to add more power, his LS6 is his biggest restriction. You can do all the research you want, but until you actually make the jump over to a FAST, your reading is doing you no good. Your about the only person I've ever heard say gains would be at a minimum by going to a FAST. Your theory couldn't be more wrong.
The only reason I said what I did is because when I first glanced at his sig I though he was running a cam with a stock head and bottom end car. The gains from a cam only car swapping from a ls6 to a FAST just can't be justified to me for the price. I'm not saying there isn't a gain. I'm just saying that at the price of the FAST it's hard to justify the price when you ALREADY have an LS6 intake. With what he's running I'd agree that the FAST would be better for him than the headers.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

That's why you hunt a used one down. I picked up a NIB never installed 92/92 combo for $600. With my set up and mild EPS cam, I picked up almost 20rwh/17rwt. I can feel the gains throughout the entire RPM range. These intakes are worth every penny.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When i ordered the MWC 9" i also ordered a boat load of suspension parts so that's all covered. I just feel i should have focused more on the motor from the beginning rather than building everything else. But, i guess it was a smart move, leaving the motor for last.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greenvortec97
When i ordered the MWC 9" i also ordered a boat load of suspension parts so that's all covered. I just feel i should have focused more on the motor from the beginning rather than building everything else. But, i guess it was a smart move, leaving the motor for last.
Swap intakes. Your current LS6 is a big restriction. You will see gains upwards of 20-25+ with the Fast.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Building the suspension first wasn't a bad idea. Having all the power in the world is useless if you can't do anything with it. I'm saving my motor for last as well. Sounds like doing the FAST is your best option especially if you find one in the classifieds.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill look into the suspension upgrades, they mean a lot when it comes to 1/4mile times. I think both the FAST intake swap and the TSP 1 7/8 headers are important, you should do either one now and the other later, or NOW if possible.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Ill look into the suspension upgrades, they mean a lot when it comes to 1/4mile times. I think both the FAST intake swap and the TSP 1 7/8 headers are important, you should do either one now and the other later, or NOW if possible.
haha that was the plan but **** happens, probably end up doing the exhaust later on. I guess if i go the FAST route ill throw a cutout on for now
Old 02-24-2013, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I think the FAST 92 would do much better than the the exhaust upgrade. Then there is little things, like UDP's, ported TB, SSRA, etc...
What is SSRA? i keep seeing this
Old 02-24-2013, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by greenvortec97
What is SSRA? i keep seeing this
Check it out! It's basically a REAL ram air induction for our cars

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...cars-with-a-c/
Old 02-24-2013, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What is your exhaust setup after the y-pipe?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mazzenger
What is your exhaust setup after the y-pipe?
It's a corsa setup, not sure what model or anything the car had it on it when i bought it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What should be the next step in mods?